• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the time?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the time?

BBC slammed for misleading viewers because its homepage clock is 'inaccurate' | Mail Online

DM link (sorry)

The Managing Editor of BBC Online was quoted in the reported saying that making the clock accurate would 'dramatically slow down the loading of the BBC homepage' and the work needed to do it would 'take around 100 staffing days'.
    I'll bid 90 days. Any advances?

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    The Mail thinks it's still 1936.

Comment

100 days to add a single json request to get the current time, work out the offset value and add it to the current system time

Mind you he's probably correct. its probably 5-10 days work with 20 days of management time and 70 days of testing. Which is why I did is plan c (see below).
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        100 days to add a single json request to get the current time, work out the offset value and add it to the current system time
        You've just fallen into the trap of failing to solve the problem, and in fact reproducing the original problem in a rather more complicated form. The whole point is that the system time can't be involved in any way, as it cannot be trusted. If a user has their clock set to a timezone offset several hours different from where they are, their locale set to a location several hours different in the other direction, and is accessing the Internet through a proxy server on the other side of the world from their location, you can't show them an accurate time. And as the complaint was not that the clock was inaccurate, but rather that it could be inaccurate due to relying on the system time, you're back at square one.

As precisely one person has complained, I don't understand why they don't just tell them to **** off. It's probably one of those morons who thinks the BBC is out to get them or something (of which there are a surprisingly large number on here). Useless twats

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          You've just fallen into the trap of failing to solve the problem, and in fact reproducing the original problem in a rather more complicated form. The whole point is that the system time can't be involved in any way, as it cannot be trusted. If a user has their clock set to a timezone offset several hours different from where they are, their locale set to a location several hours different in the other direction, and is accessing the Internet through a proxy server on the other side of the world from their location, you can't show them an accurate time. And as the complaint was not that the clock was inaccurate, but rather that it could be inaccurate due to relying on the system time, you're back at square one.

As precisely one person has complained, I don't understand why they don't just tell them to **** off. It's probably one of those morons who thinks the BBC is out to get them or something (of which there are a surprisingly large number on here). Useless twats
          You're falling into the trap of solving the problem instead of keeping it in place and invoicing.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            The Mail wishes it's still 1936.
            ftfy
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

You show 'em GMT (or BST) and allow them to select their offset. Simples.
              The weather shows me London unless I select my location. Same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                You're falling into the trap of solving the problem instead of keeping it in place and invoicing.
                Sadly, the correct solution of telling the moron who complained to **** off has been rejected by the client, and the whole project has consequently been scrapped

Comment

So if I complain that the weather's inaccurate, they'll remove that too?

Comment

So if I complain that the weather's inaccurate, they'll remove that too?
                    Only if its pointing at your laptop and you've set the weather to 'Always tulipty'
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X