• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Additional borrowing with mortgage - non contractor specific question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Additional borrowing with mortgage - non contractor specific question

OK. Basically, I want to borrow an additional sum on my mortgage.
    Spoke to existing lender - not a problem.

Existing lender is happy to do so, leaving my existing balance at my low rate of BS+1.1%, but then providing additional borrowing of 20K at 4.09%.

However, I was thinking. Am I obliged to remain with my lender for this? Obviously, I don't want to move my entire mortgage off my great tracker rate, but can I go to someone else for the additional 20K? Im guessing not.

Am I right that only option is for additional borrowing via existing lender or secured loan (not mortgage through someone else)?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    OK. Basically, I want to borrow an additional sum on my mortgage.
    Spoke to existing lender - not a problem.

Existing lender is happy to do so, leaving my existing balance at my low rate of BS+1.1%, but then providing additional borrowing of 20K at 4.09%.

However, I was thinking. Am I obliged to remain with my lender for this? Obviously, I don't want to move my entire mortgage off my great tracker rate, but can I go to someone else for the additional 20K? Im guessing not.

Am I right that only option is for additional borrowing via existing lender or secured loan (not mortgage through someone else)?
    How would we know?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      How would we know?
      As a general principle....

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        How would we know?
        Look, the man needs a sub. Don't make him beg.

Comment

Remember who owns the digital ticket on 'your' house and they're very unlikely to allow you to secure any borrowing on that piece of paper.

So in short, no.

Creditors can apply to court for a condition of sale order on your house, if you owe them money which you're refusing to pay, so that after the mortgage has been paid, you then settle up with the creditor, if there's any equity left.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
            Remember who owns the digital ticket on 'your' house and they're very unlikely to allow you to secure any borrowing on that piece of paper.

So in short, no.

Creditors can apply to court for a condition of sale order on your house, if you owe them money which you're refusing to pay, so that after the mortgage has been paid, you then settle up with the creditor, if there's any equity left.
            Good point. I guess it doesnt make sense having two people having a claim on your house....

Comment

Working...
            X