• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mistaken Identity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mistaken Identity

A sunny summer evening coinciding with the home leg of the wife's reading circle gave me the perfect excuse to pop down to The Barking Dogs for a couple of jars last night.

I walked in on a particularly lively saloon bar for a Tuesday evening and the reason for this confluence of the great and unwashed of the local area was quickly made apparent by a flyer affixed to the door advertising an appearance by local favourites, The Melksham Flyers, that very evening.

After exchanging a few pleasantries and taking receipt of a pint of Brakspears, (expertly pulled by landlady's daughter Margot I might add), I made my way round the back to the pool room where the band was setting up and made myself comfortable in a front row seat.

En route to the pool room, a porcelain, ornamental duck cryptically warns those of taller than average stature to make a momentary height adjustmment in order to avoid a painful collision with the low oak beam to which said duck is attached. Us rakes down at the Dogs generally consider any unfortunate who comes a cropper at this point to be a fair target for our merciless, raucous laughter.

Bearing this in mind, I had a keen eye on all those making their entrance should misfortune befall one of them and provide me with a little mirth. As chance would have it, a chap wearing the sort of riotous garb that devotees of the Flyers are famous for, replete with mirrored shades and clutching a swanky white pool cue made a beeline for one of the tables for a couple of frames with a pal before the band's set began.

With a resounding thud, the inevitable happened and our erstwhile sharp shooter was sat dazed on the floor, glasses askew and wearing a pint of Betty Stoggs.

Cue peals of laughter from yours truly; a reaction I was soon regretting as his rather burly accomplice , face contorted in rage, snarled "Can't you see that man is blind?!". Taking a step back and winding up to take a punch, he was stopped dead in his tracks by the opening bars of "You're Never More Than 6 Feet From A Rat" as the band took to the stage and in no time at all the situation was diffused and we were all happily rocking away together. Saved by the Melksham Flyers!

FFS

Comment

Melksham - Only slightly better than Trowbridge...

Town Moto

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
        Taking a step back and winding up to take a punch, he was stopped dead in his tracks by the opening bars of "You're Never More Than 6 Feet From A Rat" as the band took to the stage and in no time at all the situation was diffused and we were all happily rocking away together. Saved by the Melksham Flyers!
        A Wurzels cover band?

Comment

Melksham? I did one of my six month industrial training things back in student days at the Avon Rubber Company. Probably disappeared now like most of our industry.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Avon Rubber is still around but the tyre making division was sold to the American firm Cooper Tyres. They are still making tyres in Melksham under that brand though.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
              FTFY

Comment

Don't be mean! This made me chuckle when I read it this morning. Not a bad effort at all

Comment

Excellent post, Malc! It made me titter.

I spent a long weekend in Melksham once, but sad to say I don't remember much about the place, except that it wasn't far from Bath and Bradford. This was in the late 1980s, probably well before your Flyers thrust to the fore.

I do remember it being unconscionably warm for December though. We wandered around outside in nothing but shirtsleeves, a strange feeling surrounded by Christmas regalia. Is there a peculiar microclimate there?

Comment

Malcolm Buggeridge == Doggy Styles

Comment

Working...
                    X