• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract with big bucks VS contract with average bucks but spend time with fam

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract with big bucks VS contract with average bucks but spend time with fam

Bit of a dilemma here guys.

I am in a bit of a quandary

Currently in a contract where I can work from home, pretty poor pay circa 40k, easy going, settled. Very easy life, I have two babies and have enjoyed very much spending time with them.

Being hunted for a contract, circa 95k, away from home.....Mon-Fri away.

I am sure I will miss my family, but I am not sure I should turn down the extra dough...

More money is always nice, but financially I am OK.

I want some advice of older contractors who may have made the decision when their family was younger, on what they did and how they now feel...

Checks to make sure this is General

Take the £95k and buy a new family
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Why are you talking in salary terms?

Depends what your priorities and situation are.

I have not had the luxury of being able to pick a lower paid contract in order to spend time with my son, for various reasons. Not least because I can't yet afford to take the risk of turning down a role that suits me, given the niche area I work in.
      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by wantacontract View Post

Currently in a contract where I can work from home, pretty poor pay circa 40k, easy going, settled. Very easy life, I have two babies and have enjoyed very much spending time with them.

I am sure I will miss my family, but I am not sure I should turn down the extra dough...

I want some advice of older contractors who may have made the decision when their family was younger, on what they did and how they now feel...
        I have 3 kids, so know it's hard. I tend to make sure I can work from home 1 or 2 days a week whilst in contract, and avoid contracts where I can't. Always ask at interview, start by asking to WFH on Friday, then get into the project work, and ask for Monday too.

I actually believe it benefits the marriage, and relationships, by being away 2 nights a week. The bonus is they have a very good way of life, and any time I take off, which I try to make sure I do a lot of, is spent with them. They also stay with me, regardless where I am working, out of term time. I like this, as it also gives them a good look around the planet.

Comment

Half of £95K is approx £40K, which is what you'll be left with when he/she leaves you for being away from home.

HTH BIDI

Comment

On a serious note, how much of the extra £55k will be lost in travel and accommodation?
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              On a serious note, how much of the extra £55k will be lost in travel and accommodation?
              ...and how much more saved by lessening your tax burden through divis and Ltd Comp (unless I read the OP wrong, in which case, carry on).

Comment

Originally posted by wantacontract View Post

I have a four year old and a two year old, and have contracted from home or part time a fair amount. Occasionally I've had to do 5 days per week away in London (travelling each day 1 3/4 hours each way) and didn't much like it. Compared to friends, I consider myself extremely fortunate to be able to have spent so much time with them when they're little - you don't get that time back and they don't stay babies for long.

Having said that, I wasn't looking at a differential on 40 to 95k.

Comment

I guess you also have to think of your other half, if you are not there to pitch in with the housework and looking after the kids.Would you need to spend more on childminders, cleaners etc.?
                  If you can manage fine on what you are getting then stay put.
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

For what it's worth I'm looking at doing that voluntarily - leaving the London rate behind and spending more time with the family.
                    It's easier said than done as there are always some expenses and it's hard to build up a decent warchest

Comment

Working...
                    X