• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No Claims Discount

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Claims Discount

In just over a month I have to re do my car insurance. With that in mind I decided to look up the benefit of the NCD.

Moneyfacts.co.uk suggests this

Years Average % Reduction
    1 30%
    2 40%
    3 50%
    4 60%
    5 + 65%

So I went onto Admiral and got a quote for my car with 0 years NCD = £585
    I then adjusted it to the 10 years NCD I actually have and it dropped to £475. Thats a 19% reduction.

How the hell do you get the big reductions some companies advertise. Axa say that you can get up to 90% because of your NCD.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

What car did you ask to quote for?

Comment

Most insurance companies have upwards of 25 questions that they ask drivers to complete when applying for insurance. These are used to calculate the premium.
      The answer to these questions - individually and/or in combination - determine the base premium for, say, comprehensive insurance. So, how does this actually work?
      People assume that a 5 years NCB is worth a 60% discount, and that the 60% is applied to the price that the insurance company calculates based on the information that has been provided.
      Wrong! With nearly all companies the 60% discount is applied during the calculation, and not at the end. Depending on the company and the way they underwrite, the point at which the 60% discount is applied varies. Often it is applied in the middle of the calculation taking in to account a series of loadings and discounts based on the details submitted. And here is where it gets really confusing:
      Every company has a unique way of underwriting, based on years of statistical analysis of claims. The formulae they use are highly complex, as they need to strike a fine balance which enables them to get the best possible premium for a certain type of risk at a rate that is as competitive as they want to be in the market.
      If they charge too little they'll lose money. If they charge too much they won't be competitive enough to attract or hold customers. So, it's a precise balancing act. And, as a result, the end figure tends to bear little relation to that which people would expect if the insurer had just taken the full premium and then taken off 60%. So, it seems there is no single easy answer to the question 'how does NCB affect the insurance premium!'

Read more: Car insurance buyers' guide: No claims bonus explained - Confused.com
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Admiral/elephant rate for no fault accidents + attendance on speed awareness courses - they also say they won't make a payout in the event of driving under drink or drugs - tried to find out if that meant payout to an injured 3rd party or just for your own expenses

Not sure I want to do business with them anymore
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          Admiral/elephant rate for no fault accidents + attendance on speed awareness courses - they also say they won't make a payout in the event of driving under drink or drugs - tried to find out if that meant payout to an injured 3rd party or just for your own expenses

Not sure I want to do business with them anymore
          Nearly all of them take no fault accidents against you nowadays. I nearly fell off my chair when I found out. The fact you were in them is enough of a flag to them that your driving style constitutes a risk. What a ferkin rip off.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'm paying £293.50 fully comp on my Merc 220 with Merc Insurance max NCD no convictions, no accidents (Aviva under writers)

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Nearly all of them take no fault accidents against you nowadays. I nearly fell off my chair when I found out. The fact you were in them is enough of a flag to them that your driving style constitutes a risk. What a ferkin rip off.
              Mine (well the missus) was hit while parked and she was inside a supermarket... made my feckin blood boil

Comment

I've just switched to Admiral with a multi-car policy which was much cheaper than insuring the cars separately.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Nearly all of them take no fault accidents against you nowadays. I nearly fell off my chair when I found out.
                  Insurance companies don't like "unlucky" drivers

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    I'm paying £293.50 fully comp on my Merc 220 with Merc Insurance max NCD no convictions, no accidents (Aviva under writers)
                    450 odd for GL320CDI.

I think you have to play the game. Renewal quote this year, was 650 from Admiral, so I went elsewhere

Comment

Working...
                    X