• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interesting article

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting article

After your job is gone...

what we need is a Butlerian Jihad

Jihad, Butlerian: (see also Great Revolt) — the crusade against computers, thinking machines, and conscious robots begun in 201 B.G. and concluded in 108 B.G. Its chief commandment remains in the O.C. Bible as "Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind."
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

It's Dodgy I'm worried about. Won't somebody think of the agents?

Comment

All the work will be done.

We'll just have to invent more abstract and meaningless jobs to fill the time.

Comment

Madame Guillotine will make a comeback sadly.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            what we need is a Butlerian Jihad
            And exactly how do you expect that would help maintain IT contractors jobs?

Comment

I can remember a time where we were told how great it would be that we only had to work one day a week and the machines would do everything.

What was once nirvana is now feared, and the reason is that society has been designed around corporations rather than people.

Massive **** up imo. Is it to late to fix it? Is violent revolution the answer? That's a sci-fi novel waiting to happen.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                I can remember a time where we were told how great it would be that we only had to work one day a week and the machines would do everything.

What was once nirvana is now feared, and the reason is that society has been designed around corporations rather than people.

Massive **** up imo. Is it to late to fix it? Is violent revolution the answer? That's a sci-fi novel waiting to happen.
                Damn right. A world where we don't need "jobs" or "bosses" is something worth striving for. But try telling the bosses that

Comment

I'm generally not worried about losing my job - I can always find something to keep myself occupied with (like gardening etc) it's more about the distribution of wealth or rather lack of it.

Comment

This may sound tin foil hat material, but the reason for the purchase of the small holding, and the reason we’ve been rearing, and killing, turkeys for a couple of years, is that I didn’t know if I could do it. I worried, that if it all did go tits up in the world, I’d last about a week without electricity and shops. Glad I have proven I can kill, gut, pluck and cook anything, as I think it may be a skill that returns. I can shoot, skin and gut most animals now and once we’re less reliant on the grid for power, and we can grow enough veggies, rear enough animals, I’ll be a lot happier; whilst that article was quite bleak in parts, I actually thought it a good read.

I’ll be much happier once the family can do it.

Comment

Working...
                    X