• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cars and heat question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cars and heat question

About a mile from home today I hit an uncharacteristic traffic jam which led to it taking half an hour to cover that last mile. Almost immediately the air-conditioning (climate control) stopped working. This has happened a couple of times in the past month in similar conditions (semi-stationary in hot weather) but always fixed itself once I got moving again. This is my first summer with this car, and I thought it was a bit crap to have air conditioning that couldn't cope with hot weather, but didn't think any more of it.

Today I noticed the engine was overheating as well. I tried switching the engine off when I could. When I switched it on I would get overheating warnings for several seconds and then the needle would drop to just below the level where the warning light would come on. My question is: is this just my model not coping with the weather, or is something broken in my car if it overheats? (I have childhood memories of my father losing an engine to a stuck thermostat.)

On my previous car (1.6 litre petrol Honda as opposed to current 2 litre Rover 75 diesel) the temperature needle always stayed locked to the middle of the gauge, no matter what the weather. (And also despite the radiator being empty on one occasion, as the Honda dealer told me in tones of shock and outrage on one occasion when it was in for a service.) The Honda air conditioning always worked, though it was a bit smelly and not computer controlled.

Honda... Rover...

Comment

Not wanting to worry you but I think there was a problem with the cooling fans on the R75s. Replacements were expensive - £500

Turning the engine off will not neccessarily be a good thing. Do you have two fans or one ? Is one of them viscous? Ie runs faster when the engine is slower and runs slower when the engine is going faster ? The other should cut in with a thermostat.

try posting on http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.ph...hreads.htm?f=4
      or even one of the bmw boards - its a detuned bmw lump isnt it?

Comment

Rover turned to sh1t after they started the non-square cars circa 1996/1997. Then again they were all Hondas before that.

My 1996 414SLi loves this weather, although my nice Casio graphics calculator melted on the dashboard this afternoon. Photos to follow
        Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

The aircon is probably driven off a belt. What you describe might just be the belt slipping at lower revs, but once you're revving the engine higher it grips and turns the aircon.

It's virtually unheard of these days to have the cooling fans driven off a belt, but on some engines the water pump is driven this way (my Calibra V6 had the power steering, aircon and waterpump all driven off the same belt). If the waterpump wasn't working, the temp gauge would go off the scale. So it could be the one belt slipping (cheap as chips to get it replaced).

No problems with my Honda.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
            Honda... Rover...
            They are car manufacturers.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
              Honda... Rover...
              I think you have it. The Japanese almost defeated the worlds most powerful nations, before succombing to the might of the combined US, British, Australian, Indian etc. armies. Brummies have difficulty finding their way home after a night out at the pub.

Seriously though, Rover underinvested, and consequently limped on with ancient technology and manufacturing methods. Unlike Mark Twain, frequent rumours of their death were not heavily exaggerated. Honda invest heavily in the latest technology and use sophisticated continuous improvement and just in time manufacturing processes.

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl
                They are car manufacturers.
                Such perceptive observation and incisive comments are worthy of this board. [In the background, the Marseillaise can be heard.]

Comment

After browsing a Rover forum it looks like it could be a fan problem - £220 for new fan and control box, and an hour and a half labour were mentioned, so £500 sounds plausible.

Apparently there is a single three-speed fan that does air-con and engine cooling, and a relay in the control box is prone to failure.

Comment

Had exactly the same problem with my BMW 750 so just goes to show any car can be a "Friday afternoon" job.

Comment

Working...
                    X