• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MaryPoppins - Sexism at Work! Work at a call centre!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MaryPoppins - Sexism at Work! Work at a call centre!

Having ready MPs thread(well a couple of posts) it reminded me of this last night. You have to check this out. Car Crash telly at the worst.

Call Centre + Welsh + Man with big ego and no concept of HR violation.

This is the office meets the call centre and it aint an act.

BBC iPlayer - The Call Centre: Happy People Sell
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

FFS

Neville Wilshire - Welcome to the website of Swansea business man Nev Wilshire
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Not unique to that place either - I worked in one commissioning a new phone system and one team had their chairs taken away and only returned when they had all sold some boiler insurance or some such tulipe.

The winker manager even tried to involve me because I was close by! He got told to coff in no uncertain terms.

Comment

Oh balls I meant to record that! I worked in a call centre for one week when I was 18. Awful. I just hung up on everyone and got sacked.
        Last edited by MaryPoppins; 6 June 2013, 20:26. Reason: stupid phone
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

I know of someone who was doing IT work for British Bobicom call centers about the time they started making them ask permission to go to the toilet and similar dehumanising behaviour

They response to accusations of acting like Nazis was to commission software that made little speech bubbles appear when ever the automated call system had hooked a victim into answering that the salesmen would 'pop' to make them feel more in control

And that's the good side of call centers
          Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

I worked in 2 call centres about age of 20.

The first was for a large cable company. They paid a lot and had a union but had a massive staff turnover. People were told off for going to toilet 3 times a shift and for spending 10 minutes greeting a colleague's baby. How did they know? Workers had to log what they did every 15 minutes and it was compared to their call record. The call centre used auto-diallers.

The next call centre I worked in paid a lot less but they treated you like a human being. You dialled the numbers or decided to pick up a call. You didn't have to do an extra log, and were told off if you read the script to each customer. Plus you could talk to colleagues between calls. Staff turnover was oddly lower and oddly people didn't want to go toilet on a shift...
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
            X