• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Website

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Website

Do contractors have websites selling themselves and do clients expect this? I suppose this may be more important when your starting out?
    Last edited by Diestl; 19 July 2006, 22:03. Reason: speeling (sic)

Depends whether you're a bum on seat contractor or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl
      Do contractors have websites selling thereselves and do clients expect this? I suppose this may be more important when your starting out?
      I don't. It is a waste of time for most contractors. Think about it.

* Would a client requiring, for example, a .NET developer say "I know, I'll Google for one on the web"?

* And even if they do, will your website come on the first couple of pages?

* And even if it does, why would the client prefer you, who they know nothing about except what you have written youself, to someone "vetted" by an agent?

One of the few exceptions might be if you are a web site designer, where you can show a prospective client your work, but then you are a hostage to fortune.

Just make sure you have a good CV and a network of contacts.
      Last edited by wendigo100; 19 July 2006, 21:53.

Comment

I'm toying with the idea of doing one, purely just for messing about though. I admit I know nothing about this web dev business but would like to learn.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I've got one, but clients in my line of business expect one and only like to deal with "real businesses" as it were. Plus it's a handy thing to have when you're networking and handing out the old business card.

Comment

weblog

Originally posted by Emperor Dalek
            I've got one, but clients in my line of business expect one and only like to deal with "real businesses" as it were. Plus it's a handy thing to have when you're networking and handing out the old business card.
            I've got a weblog, I use it for code snippets and tagging usefull articles etc, shows a perspective client your passion for the job
            whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
              I don't. It is a waste of time for most contractors. Think about it.

* Would a client requiring, for example, a .NET developer say "I know, I'll Google for one on the web"?

* And even if they do, will your website come on the first couple of pages?

* And even if it does, why would the client prefer you, who they know nothing about except what you have written youself, to someone "vetted" by an agent?

One of the few exceptions might be if you are a web site designer, where you can show a prospective client your work, but then you are a hostage to fortune.

Just make sure you have a good CV and a network of contacts.
              This is spot on. The only time you would need a website, would be if you were in the arena of direct work, where a website is simply a "reassurance" for a client if they decided to follow up on any inquiries.

Very few clients do this.

My website often give the impression of an SME which simply reinforces the B2B paradigm and avoids interference from HR and other profit vampires.
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Just put your CV on a few decent sites. That's how I got this current gig.
                We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

I used to have one but due to a number of unfortunate coincidences I dont anymore. (Change of host at exactly the same time my lap top with the source on got nicked).

I had one because German tax law required a genuine business to advertise. A web site and business cards were regarded as meeting the requirement.

Put one up, you can then show it to the IR when 35 comes a calling. It may only be a very minor pointer, but it may be enough!

<bloody hell, I have come over all serious in general. REBOOT>
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
                    I used to have one but due to a number of unfortunate coincidences I dont anymore. (Change of host at exactly the same time my lap top with the source on got nicked).

I had one because German tax law required a genuine business to advertise. A web site and business cards were regarded as meeting the requirement.

Put one up, you can then show it to the IR when 35 comes a calling. It may only be a very minor pointer, but it may be enough!

<bloody hell, I have come over all serious in general. REBOOT>
                    Yeah I was wondering about the IR35 and having a site to show you are a real business.

Comment

Working...
                    X