• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Too skinny to work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too skinny to work

H&M CEO Says Models Are Too Skinny, Promises Changes

In an industry where thin is always in, the frequently gaunt and underfed faces staring out from the pages of glossy magazines often bear little resemblance to the actual customers and create unattainable ideals for impressionable young girls. Amid the rising chorus of complaints from critics and parents, enters the young CEO of H&M, one of the world’s largest clothing retailers, with an eyebrow-raising admission.

“Some of our models have been too skinny. That’s not OK,” H&M CEO Karl-Johan Persson, told Metro World News.

“I think that customers are starting to say we are a changing demographic,” Ashley Lutz, reporter for Business Insider, told ABC News. “We want to see fashion brands promoting other body types besides just the stick thin traditional model.”

Persson says his large and very visible company has a “huge responsibility” and that he wants to “show diversity in our advertising and not give people the impression that girls have to look a particular way.”

Which is why, he says, the company hired Jennie Runk, a 5-foot-10-inch model who wears a size 12 to 14, to be the star of its swimsuit campaign.

“I think there needs to be more models of every shape, size, color, type, everywhere, in all of the media,” Runk told ABC News.

H&M CEO Says Models Are Too Skinny, Promises Changes - ABC News

Do you feel lucky, Jennie?

What a weird post for you atW! Are you feeling ok?

Skinny is right. I suppose models are supposed to appeal to women, not us blokes, but sure I'm not the only one who find most for them (apart from a few like Claudia Schiffer, mmm) as totally unattractive. Who wants skinny? REAL MEN want HUGE, whether tits or bum according to fancy. Or ears, it's the new thing, but I don't expect CUKers to be with it.

PS By unattractive I mean relatively, not suggesting that one wouldn't, given the chance. Ho hum.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      What a weird post for you atW! Are you feeling ok?

Skinny is right. I suppose models are supposed to appeal to women, not us blokes, but sure I'm not the only one who find most for them (apart from a few like Claudia Schiffer, mmm) as totally unattractive. Who wants skinny? REAL MEN want HUGE, whether tits or bum according to fancy. Or ears, it's the new thing, but I don't expect CUKers to be with it.

PS By unattractive I mean relatively, not suggesting that one wouldn't, given the chance. Ho hum.

Just for you....

Comment

Phwwooooor! Those EARS. Growl.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Phwwooooor! Those EARS. Growl.
          gives a me something to hang on to

phwoar!

OBAQ
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

yum yum

Just about right for me.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

indeed!

mmmmm

I'm done now

Comment

Working...
              X