• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My name is ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My name is ...

Downloaded a book "The addicted Brain" on Kindle when it was in the store for free.

Very interesting - goes into the biochemical changes that occur in the brain when you take drugs, and makes you realise why stopping is a hell of a lot harder than starting. Despite its attempts to be positive about treatment options, the book does rather leave you thinking it's all pretty hopeless.

One section compared the difference in addiction between men and women. A statistic that was quoted is that female alcoholics have an average 9 drinks a week, compared to the male alcoholic's 16.

Surely that's a mistake. Drinks per day maybe...?

Extract here:

The Addicted Brain: Why We Abuse Drugs, Alcohol, and Nicotine - Michael Kuhar - Google Books

...Plissken.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        A statistic that was quoted is that female alcoholics have an average 9 drinks a week, compared to the male alcoholic's 16.

That is an Americanism. They think we're a nation of alcoholics.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          Probably not a mistake.
          Social Drinkers, Problem Drinkers and High-Functioning Alcoholics | Psychology Today

Social drinkers are those individuals who drink in low-risk patterns. According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), "low-risk" drinking for females consists of no more than 7 drinks per week and no more than 3 drinks per sitting. For males, it consists of no more than 14 drinks per week and no more than 4 drinks per day.
          We are all alcoholics, darling!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            We are all high functioning alcoholics, darling!
            That's OK then, isn't it?
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

All this talk of booze has me itching to get to the pub

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                I am no left handed.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  I am no left handed.
                  Inconceivable!
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

they have ostracised smokers, the drinkers are the current target and they are starting on the meat eaters.

They won't be happy until we are all living in dung houses living off beans.

Agree with the addiction observation it does seem to be a whole lot more complicated that the 'just give it up brigade' suggest.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X