• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New contract today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New contract today

BOOMED - phone call Friday 3 p.m. can I start this morning?

I have an interminable permie application process underway and my new contract folks know that I may give 1 month's notice at any moment (including theoretically today). 3 days per week to go alongside my other 1 to 2 day per week contract which is just coming to an end, so this should keep me ticking along nicely:

- Good rate
    - Interesting work
    - Nice people I've worked with before
    - Location not great but OK

Nonetheless... I have never been less excited to start a new contract. Still, BOOMED, eh? BOOMED!

Good to get different contracts running concurrently. I always found though that the client is able to get their act together on the days you're not there and so you're always much busier.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Good to get different contracts running concurrently. I always found though that the client is able to get their act together on the days you're not there and so you're always much busier.
      Over the past couple of years, I have tended to have to contracts running concurrently. I find I get:

- Better rate (as client often has an overall budget for the role, but would rather get someone good in for three days per week at the same cost as someone mediocre for five days per week, and at this contract I am replacing someone who wasn't delivering in five days per week at the same weekly cost as my three days per week)
      - Less bench time
      - The ability to spend the odd few months working part time knowing that I'm covering the bills
      - More interesting work than you get as a bum on seat 5 days per week bod
      - It can't hurt IR35 status

Comment

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Join IPSE

Comment

Comment

That deserves at least one
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                That deserves at least one
                Yes, bit concerned about this 'interminable permie application process' though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  Yes, bit concerned about this 'interminable permie application process' though.
                  I know. Am looking to change job function and industry simultaneously and I can't do that as a contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    I know. Am looking to change job function and industry simultaneously and I can't do that as a contractor.
                    I'm glad I didn't spend my warchest when I went permie; it meant I could go contracting again easily.

Comment

Working...
                    X