• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hand in notice as early as possible or wait?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hand in notice as early as possible or wait?

Hi.

My friend's contract runs for another 4 months or so.
    He has already successfully interviewed for another role and they're ok with a 3 month wait.
    In the current contract, the notice period is 4 weeks.
    In my view, he should keep things quiet and hand in notice 4 weeks before departure.
    My fear is that if he mentions the departure already they will terminate him far sooner than in 3 months?

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    Hi.

My friend's contract runs for another 4 months or so.
    He has already successfully interviewed for another role and they're ok with a 3 month wait.
    In the current contract, the notice period is 4 weeks.
    In my view, he should keep things quiet and hand in notice 4 weeks before departure.
    My fear is that if he mentions the departure already they will terminate him far sooner than in 3 months?
    For a contract role ??
    Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
      For a contract role ??
      It's a niche so it unlikely that they will find anyone else and even if they do, they'll want him too...

Comment

If the new role is better than this, then hand the notice in now and start the new one in four weeks.

If it isn't, then wait until the end of the current contract, don't renew and then start the new one, assuming it's still active.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Why would they terminate him early if they need him? You mean if they start a handover and they finish it early? If it is so niche I would have thought a little break would be nice and the fact the client terminates him early is a sweet little plus for the IR35 defense as well.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
            It's a niche so it unlikely that they will find anyone else and even if they do, they'll want him too...
            i wonder what niche that is....

Comment

Wait a month. Give 4 weeks notice then take a month off before starting new contract.
              Perfect.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Three months is a long time in contracting. I have seen projects conceived gain budget and get canned in that sort of time. My gut feel is to not rock any boats till a few weeks before the new contract starts. Then offer notice of four weeks and use the Lack of MOO to decline the last two weeks work at the old client...

Comment

Prepared to wait 3 months? Are they planning on putting a man on the moon? Seriously, I wouldn't trust a potential client if they told me they were prepared to wait 3 months. My advice would be to wait until the last 4 weeks with the current client and then see what the options are, e.g. extension at my existing client, contract with the new '3 months wait' client.

Comment

Originally posted by twocontract View Post
                    Prepared to wait 3 months? Are they planning on putting a man on the moon? Seriously, I wouldn't trust a potential client if they told me they were prepared to wait 3 months. My advice would be to wait until the last 4 weeks with the current client and then see what the options are, e.g. extension at my existing client, contract with the new '3 months wait' client.
                    Yeh. Could be a case of yeh we think we need someone in three months so thats fine. When push comes to shove they'll change their mind.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X