• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solar Farms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solar Farms

Anyone got one of these close to where they live?

I've never even seen a solar farm before but all of a sudden they seem to be flavour of the moment.

Just found out that there's been an application for a 30 acre site for approx 22,000 panels just up the road from me.

Some German outfit called AAE who are offering big reductions off your bills if you switch to their chosen provider apparently.

I'm guessing they've all got their snouts in a very large trough full of tax payer funded subsidies, but then again, I'm probably just being cynical....

May have to go and visit one of these places & figure out how effective they are before I make up my mind.

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    I've never even seen a solar farm before but all of a sudden they seem to be flavour of the moment.
    Don't ever even try to look at one as you will go blind in an instant.

HTH

Comment

No. They look bad enough on the odd roof.

Got to look better than the windmills though.

Comment

Within six hours, deserts receive more energy from the sun than humankind consumes within a year.
        Desertec

There, problem solved.
        My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Near where I live in Wiltshire there is a proposal for an 8MW Solar PV Development. From the Parish Council "Pegasus Group is preparing a planning application on behalf of Hive Energy Limited for an 8MW solar PV Development". I was talking to a local councilor about this the other night and she said that there are 2 more proposals being put forward for land near our village. Like you said, must be the latest subsidy on offer.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
            Desertec

There, problem solved.
            Them there Tuaregs are awful nimbies, you know...

Comment

Originally posted by Normie View Post
              Near where I live in Wiltshire there is a proposal for an 8MW Solar PV Development. From the Parish Council "Pegasus Group is preparing a planning application on behalf of Hive Energy Limited for an 8MW solar PV Development". I was talking to a local councilor about this the other night and she said that there are 2 more proposals being put forward for land near our village. Like you said, must be the latest subsidy on offer.
              Also the costs have fallen 75% in the last two years.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

Windmills are graceful and elegant, a testament to modern engineering. Solar panels are big ugly things, but high up on roofs WGAS.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Windmills are graceful and elegant, a testament to modern engineering. Solar panels are big ugly things, but high up on roofs WGAS.
                  What about nuclear power stations?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

And they make mincemeat of the local birdlife too. Wonder if these panels have any hitherto unknown ecological side effects.

Maybe they're harmful to cats - you can only hope...

Comment

Working...
                    X