• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VMS is finally dead

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VMS is finally dead

Windows NT grandaddy OpenVMS taken out back, single gunshot heard ? The Register

Thank .... for that. It should have been killed years back but I think there are still some Lloyds syndicate systems still using it.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

OpenVMS also sports world-class clustering abilities, allowing a whole group of dissimilar machines to function as a single server, leading to uptimes of many years as individual machines can be taken offline, their hardware or even entire OS upgraded or replaced, then brought back up and to rejoin the cluster. A single cluster could contain mixed hardware architectures and mixed OS versions, allowing a level of flexibility no other OS has ever matched.

What's not to like?

Anyway, if it comes back, send for the VAXorcist...
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

VMS still my favourite....

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Windows NT grandaddy OpenVMS taken out back, single gunshot heard ? The Register

Thank .... for that. It should have been killed years back but I think there are still some Lloyds syndicate systems still using it.
        Hardly anything in IT seems to die when it should - Some crazy old diehards, no doubt with zimmer frames and beards down to their knees, are still using COBOL and Fortran.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Hardly anything in IT seems to die when it should - Some crazy old diehards, no doubt with zimmer frames and beards down to their knees, are still using COBOL and Fortran.
          Probably in that same lloyds syndicate code. I know it used COBOL they wanted me to learn how to write it and that was back in 89

Comment

Mr ms is still gainfully employed doing VMS support.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              Fortran is still massively used by the Met Office in their data models.
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                OpenVMS also sports world-class clustering abilities, allowing a whole group of dissimilar machines to function as a single server, leading to uptimes of many years as individual machines can be taken offline, their hardware or even entire OS upgraded or replaced, then brought back up and to rejoin the cluster. A single cluster could contain mixed hardware architectures and mixed OS versions, allowing a level of flexibility no other OS has ever matched.

What's not to like?

Anyway, if it comes back, send for the VAXorcist...
                I had a little linux box with over 1,000 days uptime afew years ago. I shed a little tear when I had to reboot it I cried even more when the disk failed two days later

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  Mr ms is still gainfully employed doing VMS support.
                  Probably about time to start looking for something else. In about another 15 years it will be dead.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    Fortran is still massively used by the Met Office in their data models.
                    Isn't that revealing top secret info given that Met Office is MOD?

Comment

Working...
                    X