• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Exams again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exams again

BBC News - GCSEs: New-look tougher exams revealed

New-look GCSEs for schools in England are to be unveiled, with exams graded from eight to one rather than A* to G.

From 2015, GCSEs will move from coursework and continuous assessment to exams at the end of two years.

Pupils will face more rigorous content, with those studying English, for example, having to read a 19th-Century novel and a whole Shakespeare play.
    OK for us Oldies who did 2 -3 Shakespeare plays in the last year (and really enjoyed them) how can you pass with reading just a part of one?

Also they are going to lower the marks they can attain yet keep the name the same so the class of 2017 will get say a grade 3 when they would get an A* previously.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

I thought an I Level was when I finished the level in Candy Crush
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      OK for us Oldies who did 2 -3 Shakespeare plays in the last year (and really enjoyed them)
      You are anomalous. Or wearing serious pink glasses.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I can still quote large chunks of Julius Caesar.

Comment

I only ever had to read the scottish play for O-level English Lit. (I managed a B), and a couple of lessons were spent watching the Roman Polanski film (with Keith Chegwin). I can't remember reading any 19th century novels, but maybe we did.

Mostly I remember being bored to death by poetry.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            Also they are going to lower the marks they can attain yet keep the name the same so the class of 2017 will get say a grade 3 when they would get an A* previously.
            That's why they had to change the grading system, to 8 downwards instead of A to F. That way, it is clear whether a student did the old one or the new harder one, and won't suffer by comparison with all those A* results we are getting now.

Comment

How can you just do part of the play?

If it got any worse they would start showing them trailers for fast and furious films and ask them to text in what they thought of it.

Comment

I had to do a whole Shakespeare play(loved it), a fat 19th century novel(tedious) and one of the Canterbury Tales(smutty). Where can I collect my A* from?

I was curious about the 'dumbing down' of exams so went and had a look through some of the higher Maths papers and they really are quite easy. I'm sure I shouldn't have been able to do them (the marking schemes are a real eye-opener )
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I'm probably one of the most recent people to do GCSEs here, granted it was 15 years ago but back then all the same "standards slipping" things were being said every year. We certainly had to do at least one play (R&J in my case) as well as multiple books (Lord of the Flies and Brave New World IIRC) and poems.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    You are anomalous. Or wearing serious pink glasses.
                    why?

I still grade things against Shylock's speech, Shakespeare was a lefty for his time.

Grumio is still one of my favourite characters. Reprised in most modern (19-20th century) comedies.

And

Romeo & Juliet is still a powerful plot device.

I did however have a gifted and dedicated English literature teacher.

Talking about the Canterbury tales have you seen the series of reworked in modern times ones, they were rather good.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X