• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Free" Solar Panels

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Free" Solar Panels

Been meaning to put this on here for a while but keep forgetting, around our way the latest thing appears to be solar panels, mainly thought these guys, I know the principle in theory is that more electricity is produced through the day so that its sold back to the grid which makes the company a profit, as most home use more electricity at night there a small saving to yourself though.

I have heard problems when it comes to some mortgages etc but I am thinking of getting this done on my BTL property, which I am not planning on selling any time soon anyway, I know there is no such thing as a free lunch, but am I too cynical now?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Thanks SM. The wife has mentioned a colleague recently getting "completely free" solar panels but I dismissed it since I thought the subsidies and so on had been reigned in somewhat.

Next door has both solar panels and solar radiators, the latter especially sound quite good as they push up the temperature of water in the hot water tank and reduce the amount you have to heat it.

Question - is this a scheme where you also sell back leccy to the grid, or simply a way to reduce your reliance on external energy?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Thanks SM. The wife has mentioned a colleague recently getting "completely free" solar panels but I dismissed it since I thought the subsidies and so on had been reigned in somewhat.

Next door has both solar panels and solar radiators, the latter especially sound quite good as they push up the temperature of water in the hot water tank and reduce the amount you have to heat it.

Question - is this a scheme where you also sell back leccy to the grid, or simply a way to reduce your reliance on external energy?
      Unused energy does go back to the grid, but you don't see any money from it, the installation company do

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Oh, that's an interesting approach. So they have a vested interest in your installation being as effective as possible then presumably, if that's how they make their money.
        What are the lifetimes and performance drop-off over time... do you have to get new panels in 5-10 years, do they require maintenance, etc?

Might have to look into this in more depth.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Oh, that's an interesting approach. So they have a vested interest in your installation being as effective as possible then presumably, if that's how they make their money.
          What are the lifetimes and performance drop-off over time... do you have to get new panels in 5-10 years, do they require maintenance, etc?

Might have to look into this in more depth.
          The website says that it will only be 55 degree's either side of due south to achieve maximum efficiency, but they seem to be installing them pretty much anywheere

Comment

You have two routes.

1. You buy the panels and pay for the fitting. You own the generating equipment and get free leccy to use yourself and what you don't use you sell back to the grid. Selling your house is easier since you include the equipment in the sale.

2. A company supplies and fits the panels for free, and is effectively renting your roof space. You get to use the free electricity. What you don't use, sells back to grid but you don't see a penny of that. Selling the property is a little more complex as the buyer has to agree to the renting of the roof space and sign some extra documentation.

I'd go with 1 as you can make a good income on feed in tariff to the grid.

Comment

Why are you putting them on your BTL as presumably you aren't paying the bills there anyway?

Comment

I prefer these solar cells

Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
                  Why are you putting them on your BTL as presumably you aren't paying the bills there anyway?
                  I can charge more rent

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    You have two routes.

1. You buy the panels and pay for the fitting. You own the generating equipment and get free leccy to use yourself and what you don't use you sell back to the grid. Selling your house is easier since you include the equipment in the sale.

2. A company supplies and fits the panels for free, and is effectively renting your roof space. You get to use the free electricity. What you don't use, sells back to grid but you don't see a penny of that. Selling the property is a little more complex as the buyer has to agree to the renting of the roof space and sign some extra documentation.

I'd go with 1 as you can make a good income on feed in tariff to the grid.
                    Aha. So with #2 they own the panels? Is that just the way it works, or does the government say only the owner of the panels can get paid for providing to the grid? I quite like the approach and it sounds a clever business idea, as you say clearly #1 would make you more money otherwise there would be no profit in #2 - in return for stumping up the cost they collect the profit you would be making.

Comment

Working...
                    X