• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car rental: or "how I almost paid double for 3 less days"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car rental: or "how I almost paid double for 3 less days"

NOTE: I prefer renting to actually buying and then staying committed to paying road tax, insurance-etc as I'm usually not in-country long enough to justify buying a car here.

So, as the title says, just finished up booking a rental car with Enterprise for the first part of my next contract. Started the rental from this coming weekend till mid July. The price seemed rather extortionate. Must be since it's so close to the pickup time right? Wrong.

Changed the dates for the rental to start from Thursday (mid-week) till the same end date. Whaddaya know? Half the price! Turns out Enterprise has a lovely model whereby anything picked up on a weekend is subject to higher rates for absolutely no reason other than that it's the weekend.

Rather ridiculous seeing as in retrospect those 3 additional days would've cost me a couple hundred extra, but definitely something to keep in mind if y'all are looking to pull cars out for a weekend away-etc.

NOTE: I prefer renting to actually buying and then staying committed to paying road tax, insurance-etc as I'm usually not in-country long enough to justify buying a car here.
    It’s still cheaper to buy, even short term. The shortest time I bought a car was for one day to take five of us from Manchester to Bournemouth. It was cheaper than the airfare and got money back on the car. I have even bought cars to do a one-way trip to the continent. Cheaper than hire, a then fly back.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by NDawg View Post

So, as the title says, just finished up booking a rental car with Enterprise for the first part of my next contract. Started the rental from this coming weekend till mid July. The price seemed rather extortionate. Must be since it's so close to the pickup time right? Wrong.

Changed the dates for the rental to start from Thursday (mid-week) till the same end date. Whaddaya know? Half the price! Turns out Enterprise has a lovely model whereby anything picked up on a weekend is subject to higher rates for absolutely no reason other than that it's the weekend.

Rather ridiculous seeing as in retrospect those 3 additional days would've cost me a couple hundred extra, but definitely something to keep in mind if y'all are looking to pull cars out for a weekend away-etc.
      There's a company in Derby I use for short term leases. If I have a gig that's not realistically on the transport network, or that easy to get to, I use them. An Audi A3 used to cost me around £350 a month, with 1500 miles a month. Top company, run by top people too. PM me and I'll dig the number out, as you'll save buckets. Leased straight to the company too.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
        There's a company in Derby I use for short term leases. If I have a gig that's not realistically on the transport network, or that easy to get to, I use them. An Audi A3 used to cost me around £350 a month, with 1500 miles a month. Top company, run by top people too. PM me and I'll dig the number out, as you'll save buckets. Leased straight to the company too.
        Toomey Eurolease?
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Not them, not it's a small outfit, whose name escapes me. Good chap who runs it too. Would thoroughly recommend them. £350 a month was cheaper than putting uber miles on my car.

Comment

I shouldn't think it is just ridiculous. More likely a model based on their experiences over many years to maximise revenue based on consumer requirements?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

This country is a rip off for rented cars - very high price for very tulipy cars.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                This country is a rip off for rented cars - very high price for very tulipy cars.
                That's what happens when your choice isn't limited to ZILS or Ladas
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  This country is a rip off for nearly anything. Have you seen what IT contractors charge?
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    This country is a rip off for nearly anything. Have you seen what IT contractors charge?
                    Not enough.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X