• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting and outsourcing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting and outsourcing

Is contracting going to disappear by 2011 due to the large outsourcing of IT infrastructure and development? What daleks' supercomputer is forecasting about that?
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

By 2011 all jobs of value will have gone abroad.

House ownership will be impossible.

New Lie will issue everyone with food parcels to stay alive.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
      Is contracting going to disappear by 2011 due to the large outsourcing of IT infrastructure and development? What daleks' supercomputer is forecasting about that?
      Is there a trend for more outsourcing of infrastructure? I've seen more companies do the reverse recently but that's just in my limited worldview. Dunno the bigger picture trends.
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Whatever can be commoditised will be. The question to ask yourself is "What added value am I contributing that can't be contributed by someone on the other side of the world?". If the answer is nothing, then you have your answer.
        The added value is usually the intangible stuff that techies are so poor at - political skills, business analysis, engagement management, client service.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
          The added value is usually the intangible stuff that techies are so poor at - political skills, business analysis, engagement management, client service.
          True but just because your technical knowledge is a joke doesn't make you good at other skills. The good techies are probably also good at business analysis and management, but many of them are just not interested. The bad techies will be poor as managers too but they are interested since they can mask their incompetencies more than what they could do as techies.
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Yes, the number of times I've heard people say "that freelancer is shit because he doesn't understand the logic behind recursive programming" etc and yet that freelancer takes the client out for a drink, sits in meetings and helps the client out with project decisions and options, talks to the client about mundane subjects without arse licking, is sensitive to the political situation within the client's office, befriends the perms and offers free technical advice to the project without being secretive, speaks highly of the perms even if they are not to their tech standards, ...

...and ultimately gets additional contracts, normally without an agent buggering things up between that relationship...

It's the difference between "contract/temp" and defining a business/service...
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

True but just because your technical knowledge is a joke doesn't make you good at other skills. The good techies are probably also good at business analysis and management, but many of them are just not interested. The bad techies will be poor as managers too but they are interested since they can mask their incompetencies more than what they could do as techies.
              I'm assuming your first sentence isn't aimed at me - my technical knowledge in my speciality is second to none, particularly as I was doing it for 15 years, mostly as a contractor, till I took my permie management job.
              Knowing both sides, I can see that the management side is infinitely more difficult, as it involves dealing with people who, as a species, are chaotic and illogical. On the other hand techies can be stubborn, ignorant of the bigger picture and inflexible and those ones totally deserve their outsourced fate.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
                Yes, the number of times I've heard people say "that freelancer is shit because he doesn't understand the logic behind recursive programming" etc and yet that freelancer takes the client out for a drink, sits in meetings and helps the client out with project decisions and options, talks to the client about mundane subjects without arse licking, is sensitive to the political situation within the client's office, befriends the perms and offers free technical advice to the project without being secretive, speaks highly of the perms even if they are not to their tech standards, ...

...and ultimately gets additional contracts, normally without an agent buggering things up between that relationship...

It's the difference between "contract/temp" and defining a business/service...
                Spot on. It's not an accident that Francko has picked a monkey as his avatar.
                He represents a lower link in the evolution of IT.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Spot on. It's not an accident that Francko has picked a monkey as his avatar.
                  He represents a lower link in the evolution of IT.
                  Monkeys are the ultimate evolution of IT. Or are you aiming to be a dalek instead? In that case, prepare to be exterminated.

Comment

I'm assuming your first sentence isn't aimed at me - my technical knowledge in my speciality is second to none, particularly as I was doing it for 15 years, mostly as a contractor, till I took my permie management job.
                    Knowing both sides, I can see that the management side is infinitely more difficult, as it involves dealing with people who, as a species, are chaotic and illogical. On the other hand techies can be stubborn, ignorant of the bigger picture and inflexible and those ones totally deserve their outsourced fate.
                    No, that remark wasn't for you. But I can make a even better one now.
                    The reason why you are making this statement ("Knowing both sides, I can see that the management side is infinitely more difficult") has only one explanation. You are not qualified for the role you are filling in now. Just as an unqualified programmer would find a compiler to be chaotic and illogical, you do find this in your role. The reason is simple. Many business managers come to their position without any qualification, any proper study or any self-learning activity. True, it's difficult to find qualified business people. Example, how many project managers do know rup, prince2, cobit, itil (and I mean properly know, not just mentioning it on the cv) and have studied all their alternative, educating themselves everyday just like a good techie does. Answer: very few (the good ones). Most of them believe that improvisation is good enough, and are backed up by even more incompetent senior managers. It's not like that. Ffs, even comedians do not improvise but they follow strict mathematical rules. Sure, you will need a creative input but that's just as useful as is for a programmer.

Comment

Working...
                    X