• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BT Bobs all in it together

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BT Bobs all in it together

My reasonably tech aware (iPhone, iPad, laptop) 81 year old mum changed her webmail password on her BT\Yahoo account. She didn't realise that would make her MS Outlook client stop working so she got herself in a bit of a state when it did - she depends on it for contact with the outside world. She then phoned BT for advice.

After explaining the problem to BT they explained that they couldn't help her with Outlook and gave her another support number to ring. This new number told her that she'd have to pay £250 to get her computer repaired. She got even more into a panic, told them she didn't have any money and called me. I sorted the Outlook problem as soon as I could get her to tell me exactly what had happened. Then I searched for the telephone number online and found it was Tech Support - iTechAcharya Provides 24x7 Tech support for your Computer and immediately smelt a rat. It's the typical support scam.

It took a little while to get to the bottom of it but apparently the guy in India at BT had just Googled for an answer to her problem and that site had come out at the top of the list. I wouldn't be surprised if there were kickbacks involved though. Great stuff.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

I think that you, or at least your mother, should take this further as it could well be affecting other people and BT (UK) and the ombudsman should be made aware of this...I know I would be kicking up a tulipstorm if it happened to me or a member of my family.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      I think that you, or at least your mother, should take this further as it could well be affecting other people and BT (UK) and the ombudsman should be made aware of this...I know I would be kicking up a tulipstorm if it happened to me or a member of my family.
      I agree. BT apologised and said it was a one off but you never know.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
        nothing to stop you contacting Watchdog, as you suggested there may be kickbacks involved!
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Ask BT for the call recordings by making a subject access request under the Data Protection Act.
          "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            nothing to stop you contacting Watchdog, as you suggested there may be kickbacks involved!
            ^^This

Or any TV consumer show will do. As your mother is old this will make a very good story.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              ^^This

Or any TV consumer show will do. As your mother is old this will make a very good story.
              +1

BT said its 'one off' but who knows what are their recruitment / training standards in India. Perhaps they are taught that Brits are gullible fools, who can and should be taken for a ride?
              If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

I'd be onto Watchdog based purely on the fact that there could be plenty of vunerable old fogies who fall for this. Remember many of these will hand over their life savings to a pikey who claims their roof is broken.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

A few years ago there were terrible storms and the wind uprooted a huge tree in our back garden, It completely snapped 5 or 6 telephone lines coming from a pole in a star fashion.

So I called BT and explained what happened, I got put through to a bob call centre. I explained to him that the telephone cable to my flat had been completely snapped and there was no phone or broadband obviously.

Bob then started asking me to reboot the router and check if the light was blue etc !!!!!!!!!!! Reboot my PC check that the cables in the back where pushed in.!!!!!!!!! WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                    They would say that, wouldn't they.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X