• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie to Contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permie to Contractor

Hi
    I am new to the world of contracting, well not entirely new, 5years ago I did a short contract under an Umbrella company (Giant) but really lost out on it. So this time I want to do it properly and setup in the most tax efficient way.
    I do fill out Self assessment because of the travel expenses arrangements my current company has so not sure what bearing that will have on me. From the advice on this site it seems that setting up a limited company with myself as the director and then paying myself a minimum wage is the way to go as a contractor. Then occassionally paying myself dividends from the company. Is this correct and if I land myself a contract through an agency then I am likely to fall under IR35? I can also register myself for a flat VAT rate but not sure what this is? Also there seems to be something about a 5% rule for expenses but I need clarifying on this.

Other questions I have:
    1. Will I need a business bank account?
    2. Shall I do the paperwork myself to setup the company or should I get a service as advertised on here?
    3. I assume I will need an accountant?
    4. I am in the process of purchasing training materials for myself, can I claim against company even though they are purchased prior to the setup of the company?
    5. Is there any software to help with invoicing the agency/company , etc.

Sorry for all the questions and I am sure there will be more.

Many thanks

Originally posted by mr bricolage View Post

Other questions I have:
    Yes

2. Shall I do the paperwork myself to setup the company or should I get a service as advertised on here?
    Depends

Yes

4. I am in the process of purchasing training materials for myself, can I claim against company even though they are purchased prior to the setup of the company?
    Maybe

Yes

Comment

From the advice on this site it seems that setting up a limited company with myself as the director and then paying myself a minimum wage is the way to go as a contractor. Then occassionally paying myself dividends from the company. Is this correct
      That tends to be what most people do

and if I land myself a contract through an agency then I am likely to fall under IR35?
      Absolutely not. Read some of the guides --> before you start.

I can also register myself for a flat VAT rate but not sure what this is?
      No - your company can register for flat rate VAT - have a look on the HMRC website if you don't understand what it is. Google is your friend.

Also there seems to be something about a 5% rule for expenses but I need clarifying on this.
      If you are IR35 caught then there is a 5% deduction for expenses, and you pay tax on the rest of the income.

yes

You can do it yourself, or many accountants will include it as part of their fee.

You can do it yourself if you really, really want to (and some on here do). I wouldn't recommend it, though. Have a look at some of the threads about accountant recommendations, and do some research. I use InTouch (if you go with them, tell Clare that I sent you their way )

Training is a difficult one, so probably not. Have a search for training on here. Keep the receipts and you can claim for some things bought prior to incorporation - your accountant will be able to help you.

I just use Excel to generate the invoice, print it on company letterheaded paper, scan it and email it over. Depends on what the agency / client expect to be honest. Work out the figures, put them on the paper, invoice, and then enter the invoice details into your accounts.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Welcome Mr B!

On the right you'll find CUK Navigation. >>>>>>>>>

Look down and you'll come to the First Timers section. Have a read through there.

Then pay particular attention to IR35.

If you go into the Accounting/Legal forum you'll discover the thread Basic advice when running your own contractor business.

Guide to Contracts also has some good articles.

Happy reading!
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Wow! Really quick responses and thank you for that. I have started going through all of the information to my right. It takes a while. I think my first port of call will be an Accountant. I'm based in North Oxfordshire so hopefully will find one who knows what their doing. Signing up for PCG seems to be the other no brainer.
          Thanks guys and I am sure there will be more questions.

Comment

Wow! Really quick responses and thank you for that. I have started going through all of the information to my right. It takes a while. I think my first port of call will be an Accountant. I'm based in North Oxfordshire so hopefully will find one who knows what their doing. Signing up for PCG seems to be the other no brainer.
            Thanks guys and I am sure there will be more questions.
            Anything you can think of at this point will have been asked a multitude of times so check the thread out below and do some searching before you start posting..

http://forums.contractoruk.com/welco...uk-forums.html

For example....

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=24...hrome&ie=UTF-8
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X