• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Don't know how you do it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know how you do it

Those who are about to die who commute using the tube everyday, I salute you.

I don't know how you can handle it. My previous London gigs have either been walking distance from Waterloo, or in the 'burbs, but this week I've been in an office near Moorgate.
    I realise they might be thoroughly nice people normally, but there seems to be something about taking the tube that turns them into the rudest bunch of ****s I've ever seen.
    Jubilee Line has a plexiglass screen all along the platform, with sliding doors to match the train doors. The majority of people queue nicely, but there always some who not only decide that they are worthy of just walking around the queue and bypassing it, but who also see no harm in using elbows to force their way into a gap, and don't even have the decency to react to a loud, passive-aggressive "No, don't worry about everyone queuing" comment.
    The Northern Line is worse - no screens, so just a mad scrum. How continental European.
    When you do finally manage to get on board the 3rd or so train you're then so wedged in that you can't even move your feet a few inches, yet can see people standing reading papers a few feet away with loads of space that no-one seems to dare to encroach on.
    It's no better on the escalators and stairs.

I guess I ain't cut out to work in the city. Edinburgh is fine at the moment (not looking forward to Festival season), but I think I need to find more work on the outskirts of London.

And, just for the mysoginists on this board - yes, it does seem to be mostly women who think they can ignore normal polite behaviour.

My wife has a similar transition when she drives back to London from Devon.

Chilled all the way along the M5 and M4 and then reaches the M25/A406 and suddenly turns into this beast of a road rage driver.

Start work earlier, the trains at 6:30 - 7 have plenty of seats and leave early to get to the park or the pub.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post

Chilled all the way along the M5 and M4 and then reaches the M25/A406 and suddenly turns into this beast of a road rage driver.

Start work earlier, the trains at 6:30 - 7 have plenty of seats and leave early to get to the park or the pub.
      She should go A303 and she will be in a rage all the way
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Learn to relax before you start stabbing offenders

There are some absolute knobbers on the tubes, the worst IMO are the fit and healthy men who barge their way past everyone else to grab a seat for themselves.

I was passing through London last week and gave my seat up for an elderly lady who had just got on. She actually looked shocked that someone would bother.
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post

I don't know how you can handle it. My previous London gigs have either been walking distance from Waterloo, or in the 'burbs, but this week I've been in an office near Moorgate.
          I realise they might be thoroughly nice people normally, but there seems to be something about taking the tube that turns them into the rudest bunch of ****s I've ever seen.
          Jubilee Line has a plexiglass screen all along the platform, with sliding doors to match the train doors. The majority of people queue nicely, but there always some who not only decide that they are worthy of just walking around the queue and bypassing it, but who also see no harm in using elbows to force their way into a gap, and don't even have the decency to react to a loud, passive-aggressive "No, don't worry about everyone queuing" comment.
          The Northern Line is worse - no screens, so just a mad scrum. How continental European.
          When you do finally manage to get on board the 3rd or so train you're then so wedged in that you can't even move your feet a few inches, yet can see people standing reading papers a few feet away with loads of space that no-one seems to dare to encroach on.

I guess I ain't cut out to work in the city. Edinburgh is fine at the moment (not looking forward to Festival season), but I think I need to find more work on the outskirts of London.

And, just for the mysoginists on this board - yes, it does seem to be mostly women who think they can ignore normal polite behaviour.
          Waterloo and City line to Bank and walk?

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post

I get the earliest train in, and catch the buses. Much better. I am at my desk by 7am, and it's grand. On the way home is different. I had a woman, literally, shove me aside as I had the temerity to stop and check the train times at London Bridge.

People lose their humanity living here...

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            She should go A303 and she will be in a rage all the way
            A303 all the way for me, you can pootle off if you need to avoid bottle necks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post

I used to use the Northern Line from St Pancras to Old Street Tuesday morning & Thursday evenings (I used to walk there and back in between).

I was outraged on my 1st day when people nipped in front of me to squeeze into the postage stamp space that I declined. I realised on my 2nd day that this was simply a stupid attitude to take and so squeezed into the postage-sized space myself (crumpling the newspapers that some thought would save their space).

There's no room for politeness (literally) in the rush-hour Underground.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Or just dont work in London, full stop.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  Waterloo and City line to Bank and walk?
                  It is so surprising that most of the people on the trains do not know geo-locations of the stations. If you look at the google maps, you might find that there is a pleasant way to avoid the northern line and arrive at your destination in a completely different mood. Just make sure the W&C line is working before hand, as most of the day there are issues with trains on this stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by rd409 View Post
                    It is so surprising that most of the people on the trains do not know geo-locations of the stations. If you look at the google maps, you might find that there is a pleasant way to avoid the northern line and arrive at your destination in a completely different mood. Just make sure the W&C line is working before hand, as most of the day there are issues with trains on this stretch.
                    I've started using Kickmap for the tube (when I need a map). It's useful to have more geographically accurate locations of the stations.

Comment

Working...
                    X