• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IPv6 - A long time in coming, and never seems to arrive

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IPv6 - A long time in coming, and never seems to arrive

Once IPv6 becomes ubiquitous, it seems to me there will be little advantage, besides a bit of free disk space, for people to continue using commercial networked mail servers such as Yahoo and Google, when they can easily host their own mail servers on home PCs with static IP addresses, and even send and receive encrypted mails using public key systems.

So could it be that the long-planned IPv6 rollout is being delayed/frustrated by security agencies and companies who don't want this development to occur?

Same applies to other cloud services - The whole cloud model could be scuppered, or severely curtailed, if people can readily access their personal cloud.

(Maybe this belongs more in Technical.)
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    So could it be that the long-planned IPv6 rollout is being delayed/frustrated by security agencies and companies who don't want this development to occur?
    No, next!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      No, next!

If that's a serious answer, stop being glib and explain why not.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

If that's a serious answer, stop being glib and explain why not.
        I thought glib was de rigueur for General
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

You assume ISPs will be giving punters blocks of public ips....

Comment

Once IPv6 becomes ubiquitous, it seems to me there will be little advantage, besides a bit of free disk space, for people to continue using commercial networked mail servers such as Yahoo and Google, when they can easily host their own mail servers on home PCs with static IP addresses, and even send and receive encrypted mails using public key systems.

I have a static IP, yet use GMail. It's far more convenient than arsing around setting up my own server, and I'm a techy. IPv6 is a total irrelevance for Johnny Home User, as long as their internet carries on working, they'll neither know nor care. The IPv6 rollout is slow because there isn't much point to it.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Same applies to other cloud services - The whole cloud model could be scuppered, or severely curtailed, if people can readily access their personal cloud.

(Maybe this belongs more in Technical.)
              99.9% of people do not know what a static IP address is, or a mail server, or PKCS or a personal cloud.

The status quo will remain, as it's simpler for the proles.
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

I'm pretty sure my home Internet IP address isn't officially a static IP, but it has been the same for the last 3 years.

So functionally to me it works as my personal global storage.
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

I run a web server on a home machine, with a dynamic ip address.
                  I have a Windows scheduled task that runs every 15 minutes to detect a change in the ip address and email the new one to me. I then manually change the ip address for the domain name to match.

Now all I need to do is automate this DNS address change, but I don't know if that is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                    I run a web server on a home machine, with a dynamic ip address.
                    I have a Windows scheduled task that runs every 15 minutes to detect a change in the ip address and email the new one to me. I then manually change the ip address for the domain name to match.

Now all I need to do is automate this DNS address change, but I don't know if that is possible.
                    DynDns?
                    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Working...
                    X