• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's a cheap, nice place to live, commutable to Swindon and London?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's a cheap, nice place to live, commutable to Swindon and London?

I have an offer, the nice part is I can do most of it remotely and they'll pay any commute expenses, the bad part is that the rate is not great and I probably wouldn't have a very great lifestyle living in London, with a family on that.
    Can you recommend some nice places that are within an hour or two by train from both London and Swindon, perhaps with some green areas and decent schools and not too expensive, if that not too much to ask for in one sentence?

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    I have an offer, the nice part is I can do most of it remotely and they'll pay any commute expenses, the bad part is that the rate is not great and I probably wouldn't have a very great lifestyle living in London, with a family on that.
    Can you recommend some nice places that are within an hour or two by train from both London and Swindon, perhaps with some green areas and decent schools and not too expensive, if that not too much to ask for in one sentence?
    Where are they near? Paddington or Waterloo? you can get trains both ways My suggestion is to take a look at Taunton. Its not much more time into London than Bath Spa. If you go into wiltshire the issue is if you want a seat in the morning or squatting in a door is ok for you...

Comment

Q What's a cheap, nice place to live, commutable to Swindon and London?

A Swindon

HTH BIDI

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Q What's a cheap, nice place to live, commutable to Swindon and London?

A Swindon

HTH BIDI
        Its cheap - would you really call it nice?
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Bridgwater.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Bridgwater.
            You want some do you son? You want some???
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Didcot! It's cheap, commutable to Swindon and London, and it's Ni...oh...er...oops...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Its cheap - would you really call it nice?
                If you can't stomach Swindon there's Blunsdon, Highworth, Wroughton, Royal Wootton Bassett, Purton, Cricklade etc just a few miles outside the centre...or a few miles more Marlborough and Cirencester....

Comment

The line from Cheltenham through Swindon has a surprisingly good direct service to London (and obviously Swindon) and it's being improved later this year. So Kemble, Stroud, Stonehouse, Gloucester etc. These also have the benefit of rural stations so less traffic/hassle/parking costs etc. than Swindon.

The really nice part is that you get on before the crowds at Swindon/Didcot/Reading, which is a bonus...

HTH

Comment

Westbury.

1 hour out of both ish on the trains

Comment

Working...
                    X