• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Notice period for early termination: "14 days"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice period for early termination: "14 days"

My contract that has a notice period of 14 days was terminated "immediately" on 15 May, and I was not required to work out this period.

I am querying how many days actually to invoice for the unworked days. If I had worked out the notice, they would probably have meant working until 29 May. I would have not worked weekends or the Bank Holiday Monday on 27 May.

However, having been not required to work, it is not certain how many days I should actually bill. I am also uncertain if the date itself, i.e. 15 May, would be one of these days.

I don't care in some ways what the contract meant. it is what is on the sheet of paper that matters to me. It says 14 days and I am paid by the day, so I want to bill for 14 days. This is between myself and the agency, and what they get from the client company is their own business.

This kind of situation must have come up before. Is there a previous case?

If you've worked the days you'll get the money.

If you haven't worked the days you won't.

And as stek mentioned earlier...

Originally posted by stek View Post
    MoO

No work, no obligation, no notice, no pay.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Purple View Post
      Plenty - have you tried searching for "early termination" on here??

Bill for what you worked. Nothing more, nothing less.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

My contract that has a notice period of 14 days was terminated "immediately" on 15 May, and I was not required to work out this period.

I am querying how many days actually to invoice for the unworked days. If I had worked out the notice, they would probably have meant working until 29 May. I would have not worked weekends or the Bank Holiday Monday on 27 May.

However, having been not required to work, it is not certain how many days I should actually bill. I am also uncertain if the date itself, i.e. 15 May, would be one of these days.

I don't care in some ways what the contract meant. it is what is on the sheet of paper that matters to me. It says 14 days and I am paid by the day, so I want to bill for 14 days. This is between myself and the agency, and what they get from the client company is their own business.

So you dont care what the contract meant!? Oh, so you want to ignore what the contract meant or just pick and chose the bits you do care about?

I dont think you quite understand this contracting lark.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

No, none of you have read my post. And yes I searched and found nothing.

The client did not want me to work the days and agreed to pay in lieu. So I can not "pay the days I worked".
          The notice period on the contract stated "14 days". Therefore I want to bill for 14 days.

And when I say "I don't care what they meant", I mean, what their intention was. What they wrote on the contract matters, not what that wanted to write. They should have said "2 weeks".

I do know a bit about contracting, been doing it longer than most of you.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            If you've worked the days you'll get the money.

If you haven't worked the days you won't.

And as stek mentioned earlier...
            You didn't read my post. Do you bother to read posts before you reply. If the client does not let you work the notice, they are in breach of contract. The contract is that they have to give notice. They can offer to pay as though you did work it.

However I do not have a contract with the client at all, only with the agency.

Comment

OK, I'm totally with the idea that you can only bill for work done. So I'm wondering what the point of a notice period is. If the client can give 14 days notice of termination and also say that they don't require any services during those 14 days, that seems to be as good as no notice at all?

Comment

I guess somebody will have to look at the whole contract to see what the terms are when notice is given.

It also depends on what are the terms of "providing service". If the client decides that during the notice period "providing service" involves not doing anything, you are doing that?

Comment

You didn't read my post. Do you bother to read posts before you reply. If the client does not let you work the notice, they are in breach of contract. The contract is that they have to give notice. They can offer to pay as though you did work it.

However I do not have a contract with the client at all, only with the agency.
                  I did read your post. Have you read your contract? What does it say if the client has no work for you?

If you think you have a shot, go ahead and sue them.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    I did read your post. Have you read your contract? What does it say if the client has no work for you?

If you think you have a shot, go ahead and sue them.
                    WCS

Stop thinking like an employee, think more like a window-cleaner.

Comment

Working...
                    X