• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tipping Point

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tipping Point

BBC News - To tip or not to tip... or should it be banned?

A New York restaurant has banned tipping to spare customers the bother, while some restaurants in other US cities have already replaced the gratuity with a fixed optional service charge. So is the discretionary tip falling out of favour in the land where it's king?
    I didn't relalise that in the states for some the minimum wage is less than $3 an hour and the rest is expected to be made up with tips! In the UK I see tipping as a reward for good service, not a prerequisite, and if someone followed me out of the restaurant complaining I'd take it back and tell them to **** off.

But then again, being on the FRS does that mean the extra 5.5% difference in VAT is the tip us contractors get?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Child #2 has just got summer job in local harvester. As she's 20, min wage is < £5 an hour, so tips are pretty important for topping it up.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      Child #2 has just got summer job in local harvester. As she's 20, min wage is < £5 an hour, so tips are pretty important for topping it up.
      Let's hope they tip for service rather than quality of food.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

And if she give good service she should be rewarded, but I object to paying her a living wage when her boss won't, either that or just wear a tight top

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Let's hope they tip for service rather than quality of food.
          Yep - that's the problem. Meal comes out late/cold/burnt = no tip.

Agree that they ought to pay more, but they don't. And I guess if tipping was outlawed, they still wouldn't.

Comment

I always tip well, but the problem i have with it is that it is effectively tax-free income.

Comment

Yep - that's the problem. Meal comes out late/cold/burnt = no tip.

Agree that they ought to pay more, but they don't. And I guess if tipping was outlawed, they still wouldn't.
              Never thought about it like that, they are the public face of the other people she works with, but inversely does she share her tips with those in the kitchen (not trying to be funny, just genuinely curious)

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
                I always tip well, but the problem i have with it is that it is effectively tax-free income.
                https://www.gov.uk/tips-at-work/tips-and-tax although not sure how honest I would be in declaring if I am on minimum a wage

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  Never thought about it like that, they are the public face of the other people she works with, but inversely does she share her tips with those in the kitchen (not trying to be funny, just genuinely curious)
                  Often they go into a pot and are shared out.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I normally tip in restaurants. I left a 5p tip once for a waitress who's service had been so bad it eroded even my, almost infinite, patience.

I got told by a friend who used to work as a driver in dominos that they made a note of who was the best tipper and there was always a rush to be the one to deliver to that address, the side effect being you got your pizza more quickly. Hence I tip fast food drivers too.
                    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                    X