• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Syria - Slippery slope?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Syria - Slippery slope?

Since Obama has approved supplying arms directly to rebels, is this the start of a slippery slope of the west getting dragged into yet another war?.
    Yes
    50.00%
    No
    10.00%
    Andyw's mum will depose the Assad regime with her handbag
    40.00%

already "ruined by proggy"

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Probably.

I'm open to a decent argument, but is there a good reason why we shouldn't just leave them to their own civil wars? Some of those rebel groups are no better than Assad anyway.

Comment

The problem is nations arming opposing sides of the conflict. At some point US supplied weapons will wipe out a Russian convoy delivering weapons for the governement and we have a diplomatic nightmare on our hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
          The problem is nations arming opposing sides of the conflict. At some point US supplied weapons will wipe out an Iranian convoy delivering weapons for the governement and we have a diplomatic nightmare on our hands.
          The Russians are too canny to be involved in delivering the arms themselves. They'll also be rubbing their hands together at more orders from Assad. Lots of businesses in the West will also be rubbing their hands together at the increase in trade. Nothing promotes the stock market more than a good war.

But arming Al Qaeda in one country, and fighting them in another seems almost too funny to laugh about.

And if Al Qaeda get hold of sarin, I am not pootling about in London again...

Comment

So if we can stike a deal with the Russians where we arm opposing sides via satalite states then we could make a fair amount of money. Once the money is all gone we can pull out and let them finish each other before moving in to 'help' and then plundering any natural resoures the country has. If they do not have any then ***** 'em - it is against our policy to interfere in another country's internal political affairs.
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
              The problem is nations arming opposing sides of the conflict. At some point US supplied weapons will wipe out a Russian convoy delivering weapons for the governement and we have a diplomatic nightmare on our hands.
              It will be the Israelis rather than the rebels.

I think there is already a diplomatic issue because you have ~ 100k dead people including thousands of children and you have chemical weapons being used. I think it would be reasonable looking at recent history to expect the UN to intervene at some point with a multinational peacekeeping force, though I can see that it's not going to happen in this case.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                Probably.

I'm open to a decent argument, but is there a good reason why we shouldn't just leave them to their own civil wars? Some of those rebel groups are no better than Assad anyway.
                It's a no win for the politicians , if they don't intervene and hundreds of thousands more die they get accused of apathy. Also Obama said if chem weapon were used then that was the red line. So he's bound to take some action now given it looks like that has happened (not sure if its been confirmed yet)

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  Probably.

Hmmmm. Gassing civilians, especially women and kids whether rebels or not? Spreading their attacks into Turkey?

Its easy to batter the US, UK or 'the West' for standing by while murderous regimes do what they want in their own country. If the UN was truely non country specific and could do a job as the World's policeman, we might be able to sleep at night. But it cant and it is down to the US, ourselves and other like minded countries to do something until it (the UN) can.

There is the old argument that the West \ US \ UK \ France may have provided arms to Assad in the past. But, even if they hadnt, he'd probably have got them off China, Russia or Iran etc.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by proggy View Post
                    It's a no win for the politicians , if they don't intervene and hundreds of thousands more die they get accused of apathy. Also Obama said if chem weapon were used then that was the red line. So he's bound to take some action now given it looks like that has happened (not sure if its been confirmed yet)
                    He's approved the supply of arms to the rebels, which is somewhat surprising given that a no-fly zone is historically the way the west gets involved in these things. But then there's the real possibility of Syrian government forces shooting down US planes (with Russian supplied anti-aircraft missiles); maybe that's why they're seemingly more reluctant than they were in Libya.

Israel gains by its Arab neighbours fighting amongst themselves, so I'm sure they'll find some ways to stir the pot.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X