• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The good life fails to make Britain happy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WE may never have had it so good, but the British remain a glum lot. Researchers have found that when it comes to happiness, Britain is ranked below 20 other nations, including far poorer countries such as Uruguay, Mexico, Ghana and Colombia.
    The research confirms that money alone cannot buy happiness. Despite an 80% increase in income per head in the past 30 years, levels of happiness in Britain have remained virtually static.

In the meantime, Latin American countries such as Colombia — which is riven by civil war — and Uruguay are nearly 10% happier despite their relative poverty, higher levels of crime and stark inequalities. Experts believe the strength of family ties outweighs the elements of misery.

Professor Ruut Veenhoven, author of the “life satisfaction index” and a leading academic expert on happiness, said: “I was surprised to see countries like Mexico ranking so highly. But Latin America is known for its warm family ties, the way of life and enjoyment of festivals and the particular brand of Catholicism, all of which contribute to people’s happiness.”

By contrast, experts believe a combination of the “rat race” of rising working hours and the decline of traditional families and communities has resulted in happiness levels reaching a plateau in Britain.

The new index uses data from 100,000 people in 90 countries who were asked, on a scale of 1-10, how happy they were.

The average was then modified according to “equality of happiness” — nations with wide differences between the happiest and saddest citizens were thus pushed down the ranking.

In Britain the research, published this month in the Journal of Happiness Studies, finds that levels of happiness have virtually levelled out since 1973, rising by just 1.36%.

“Happiness has a ceiling,” said Veenhoven, a sociologist at Erasmus University Rotterdam. “The relation between money and happiness is subject to the law of diminishing returns. Once you earn more than $10,000 [£5,600] per head in a country it levels off.”

But happiness in other European nations has increased at a far greater rate than in Britain. In France it has risen more than twice as much, in Denmark by 5.12% and in Italy by 10.57%.

The government is starting to take note. In 2003 the Downing Street strategy unit hosted a seminar where concerns were raised that Britain was falling behind its European neighbours in terms of life satisfaction.

Lord Layard, a former Labour adviser on unemployment and emeritus professor of economics at the London School of Economics, argues that while wealth in Britain has increased, family relationships and sense of community have deteriorated.

Divorce rates have more than quadrupled since 1970 while every year 40,000 children and adolescents in Britain are prescribed antidepressants.

“Economic growth is important but we shouldn’t sacrifice other things which are equally important, for example human relationships,” he said. “It is a logical absurdity to be continually urging people to get ahead.”

The idea that money does not create happiness is supported by a growing body of evidence. Research by Andrew Oswald, an economics professor at Warwick University, has found that marriage has a bigger impact on how long someone lives than income.

Sh*t... isn't the prevailing opinion here on the board that the UK is the best location to work and live.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      It's coz we're doomed... and 9 years of New Lie misrule...
      To quote Max and Paddy..."Thatcher's Britain". At least Blair knows he's lieing...the tories didn't even know there was an @arse or an elbow, let alone know what each other was doing (or is that just the PM on my current project).

Comment

Originally posted by lORD lUCAN
        The research confirms that money alone cannot buy happiness.
        Who's going to tell this to Milan now? He's working his @ss off every weekend and not spending a penny on anything to save money.
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

I think it's relative: if you move to the UK (well, it seems a fairly popular options at the moment) and someone doesn't stab your daughter for buying a piece of bread, then you must think "hey, this is great!".

On the other hand, if you've seen your hard earned wealth stolen in the last decade to support an idealistic, unaccountable regime, then you would obviously be forgiven for thinking you lived in a 3rd World country...
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
            Sh*t... isn't the prevailing opinion here on the board that the UK is the best location to work and live.
            As the hamster spins another turn of the wheel. Work, work ,work, is the
            ethic in this Country. I'm here for a good time not a long time, my ski's are waxed, my plane is booked, Norway here I come.....

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
              It's a board of contractors. The only motivation is money. That's why.
              I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

The notion that more money does not bring more happiness is a dangerous concept pedalled by communist terroriists and the other never*do*wells in a calculated attempt to destroy our Freedom, Liberty and the values that we cherish, namley the pleasure of pure profit.

Im simple terms the more money I have the happier I become.

To prove this I would challenge the authors of this shoddy propaganda to transfer their surplus income to myself.

And may I remind you that you owe me a fiver.

Yes, all of you.

There you have it.
                Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 20 July 2006, 14:39.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
                  Im simple terms the more money I have the happier I become.
                  Hiya Alfie. I totally agree with you. Plus nowadays is even easier. You don't have to worry about economic cycles, macrofinance and so on. All you have to do is to invade some country with a mad dictator (all of them have at least one) with plenty of natural resources (oil is a plus) and national wealth is up again. I say.... let's choose the next.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
                    On the other hand, if you've seen your hard earned wealth stolen in the last decade to support an idealistic, unaccountable regime, then you would obviously be forgiven for thinking you lived in a 3rd World country...
                    I'd like to rewrite that for clarity:

On the other hand, if you've seen your hard earned wealth stolen in the last decade to support an idealistic, unaccountable regime, then you would obviously be forgiven for thinking you lived in the UK...
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X