• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cyclist Again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cyclist Again

Bought myself a folding bike today, so I can stick it in the boot of the car and join the cycling hordes of Cambridge during the week.

It's 3 miles from the hotel to ClientCo, and the pub where I usually have dinner is a mile away. Almost all of each journey is cycle path and, best of all, there's no hills to speak of

With at least 8 miles of cycling each weekday, I'm expecting to shed quite a few pounds over the next couple of months, and save a fair bit on petrol. I'll probably save time too, as virtually every main road in Cambridge seems to have ongoing roadworks this summer, so using the extensive network of cycle paths is going to be quicker than driving.

I'll hopefully also get a better score than last year when I have my annual checkup, rather than another year of worsening figures, which should get the cardiologists off my case

What model?

I'd like to get one too, because the drive from my lodgings to clientco often takes 20 minutes in the rush hour, and it takes only half an hour to walk and would thus take less than 10 minutes to cycle!
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      What model?

I'd like to get one too, because the drive from my lodgings to clientco often takes 20 minutes in the rush hour, and it takes only half an hour to walk and would thus take less than 10 minutes to cycle!
      One of these: Halfords | Raleigh Evo-7 Folding Bike

Only £200, seven-speed gears, and a dinky little pannier rack. It's not going to win any speed trials, but for getting around town it seems like it should be ideal.

Comment

Sounds perfect

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          One of these: Halfords | Raleigh Evo-7 Folding Bike

Only £200, seven-speed gears, and a dinky little pannier rack. It's not going to win any speed trials, but for getting around town it seems like it should be ideal.
          The Brompton massive will laugh at you
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            Luckily, I don't give a tulip what they think

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Luckily, I don't give a tulip what they think
              I did the london nocturne folding bike race on a btwin hoptown

the brompton lot hated me overtaking them its like the mini car club cult

all i would say is, if you are going non brompton think about your component suppliers. I bust the back wheel of mine - turns out it is a junior bmx wheel that took me a week to source, same for tyres, so i keep a stock, if it was brompton most bike shops have parts good to go - if in the same position i would probably go brompton for that reason.

Comment

Halfords is pretty ubiquitous assuming they stock the spares for their bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  £200 sounds too cheap to me - It'll probably fall to bits in a month or two.

What folding bike does the richest member of the Brompton massive ride?
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    £200 sounds too cheap to me - It'll probably fall to bits in a month or two.

What folding bike does the richest member of the Brompton massive ride?
                    Yeah, but he'll probably have given up riding it in two weeks.

Bought hubby a £700 bike in 2010 after I finished Lejog. He's done 15 miles...

Comment

Working...
                    X