• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Winning the lottery - Guide for gifts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winning the lottery - Guide for gifts

Lets say in theory you had a biggish type win on the National Lottery or Euromillions lottery & because of the size of your win you wanted to give some away to friends & family.

Let's say you won a sum over the weekend, lets call it say £4,324,174 & you wanted to give 300k to your brother, 300k to your sister and then £1m to your parents, and then some £50k for another few friends, keeping around £2.3 million for yourself (you dont want to be greedy)

Would they all have to pay tax? And if so what would be a better way to gift it?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Buy their houses of them, and let them live for a peppercorn rent.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Lets say in theory you had a biggish type win on the National Lottery or Euromillions lottery & because of the size of your win you wanted to give some away to friends & family.

Let's say you won a sum over the weekend, lets call it say £4,324,174 & you wanted to give 300k to your brother, 300k to your sister and then £1m to your parents, and then some £50k for another few friends, keeping around £2.3 million for yourself (you dont want to be greedy)

Would they all have to pay tax? And if so what would be a better way to gift it?
      No, as long as you actually won the lottery. HTH BIDI.

In seriousness, you can gift anything, as long as you live for 7 years afterwards.

Comment

All it does is cause fights in families, as I seen in mine.

Comment

Premium bonds.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            AFAIK no tax on such gifts in UK for the person who gets them, but if the person who GAVE them dies within 7 years then such gift would be subject to the death tax.

Comment

So a good incentive for them not to bump you off.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                So a good incentive for them not to bump you off.
                Only if tax due would exceed what MF left for himself

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  All it does is cause fights in families, as I seen in mine.
                  WHS

I would give them SFA especially friends and siblings.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I wouldn't even tell anybody. Even if it was silly money like £100 million. I'd just pretend to go to work every day, trundle off from my crappy little house to my pad in paradise and post crap on CUK all day.

Probably.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X