• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Holidays

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holidays

My client is asking - well, getting a bit insistent in fact, that I fill in one of their leave cards before I take time off so they can 'keep their records up to date'. I'm saying no, I'll happily give them adequate notice of any time that I wont be available. But, as I say, their HR people are getting quite insistent.

Are there IR35 implications if I comply with their request?

Originally posted by FrankScribe
    My client is asking - well, getting a bit insistent in fact, that I fill in one of their leave cards before I take time off so they can 'keep their records up to date'. I'm saying no, I'll happily give them adequate notice of any time that I wont be available. But, as I say, their HR people are getting quite insistent.

Are there IR35 implications if I comply with their request?
    Probably. <hint>Try offering them one of your own companies leave forms which look surprisingly similar to theirs.</hint>
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
      Probably. <hint>Try offering them one of your own companies leave forms which look surprisingly similar to theirs.</hint>

And offer to provide a substitute (who isn't quite as good as yourself) as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife
        And offer to provide a substitute (who isn't quite as good as yourself) as well.
        Should be able to find plenty of those on here
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
          Should be able to find plenty of those on here
          Uncalled for considering someone likened you to something safe and dependable!
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

This sort of tulip pisses me off.

I usually go into a quiet room with the most senior person that willing to listen to me and tell them that it is inappropriate to fill in an employee holiday card since:

I am clearly not an employee of your company
            I have no contract of employment with you company
            I do not get paid holiday from your company
            I do not receive a holiday allowance from you company
            I have a contract of employment and annual leave allowance with <your company name here>

Therefore to fill it in would be absurd.

I also mention (some IR /agent style FUD) that if I were to fill in the holiday card it might make life difficult for the client if someone were to make employment rights claim or sue for unfair dismissal or request holiday pay etc.

As other have said offer to give copies of <your company name here> holiday cards that they can hold for their records.

Keep resisting this tulip. FFS - WHEN WILL CLIENTS LEARN!!!!

PS - I also mention I have tax investigation insurance that forbids me from signing any form as an employee or temp worker for any client, otherwise I lose cover. (I make this bit up).
            Last edited by DimPrawn; 20 July 2006, 16:40.

Comment

The main thing is that it shouldn't be a request for holiday that requires approval, that is definitely a no no.

Perhaps just send a notification as a letter, or Fax to your agency.

That would be fine.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

No usually works! Let the agent and them deal with it. It's not your problem.
                Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
                  No usually works! Let the agent and them deal with it. It's not your problem.
                  Not a good plan.

"Agent, client is bugging me to fill in a permie holiday form"

Agent, thinking about all the money they get from that account.

"Okay contractor, I'll talk to them".

20 minutes later.

"Contractor, agent here, looks like you need to fill it in. All the other contractors have. Bye"

Comment

I just don't turn up. No-one seems to notice...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                    X