• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doing stuff for charity... am I missing the point?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing stuff for charity... am I missing the point?

About 30 people, around half from my church, successfully completed the 3 Peaks this weekend in support for the local Food Bank. It's a great cause and I admire their dedication but according to their JustGiving page they have raised £650 - let's say £1500 with other pledges included.

To take part, each person had to pay £120 towards accommodation and extensive travel costs. So after slogging their guts out and giving up time training, if each of them had just given (hah!) £120 to charity they would have raised £2000 more, i.e. double. Not excluding money spent on kit for the event.

Now to me, it seems that if they really cared about the cause they would have been better off not doing the 3P at all. Of course we can talk about them spreading the word but if we assumed that has negligible effect, am I missing the point or are they?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    About 30 people, around half from my church, successfully completed the 3 Peaks this weekend in support for the local Food Bank. It's a great cause and I admire their dedication but according to their JustGiving page they have raised £650 - let's say £1500 with other pledges included.

To take part, each person had to pay £120 towards accommodation and extensive travel costs. So after slogging their guts out and giving up time training, if each of them had just given (hah!) £120 to charity they would have raised £2000 more, i.e. double. Not excluding money spent on kit for the event.

Now to me, it seems that if they really cared about the cause they would have been better off not doing the 3P at all. Of course we can talk about them spreading the word but if we assumed that has negligible effect, am I missing the point or are they?
    In a word, YES!

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

You are missing the point.

Some people like doing challenges like that anyway. Collecting money for a charity is just a perk of doing the challenge.

In addition the threat that some of their donors won't pay up if they don't finish helps them to finish.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Yeah, I see the point; they could just give the money or better still turn up at the food bank and offer to help, but perhaps the 3P gives them a feeling of having taken on a challenge together and actually done something difficult in order to give to charity; that benefits both the donators and the charity receiving the funds, and that's perhaps a good thing all round; giving doesn't just need to be about helping the people who need it, but helping oneself by doing something decent for others and with others.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Which one are you?

Smashie or Nicey?

Comment

I once had a crazy notion to go to Africa to help them dig wells and build houses / walls etc.

Until some on here pointed out my plane ticket there and back would probably pay for an army of builders for a months work and that I was being a
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              I once had a crazy notion to go to Africa to help them dig wells and build houses / walls etc.

Until some on here pointed out my plane ticket there and back would probably line the pocket of some third world dictator with a fleet of Mercs and 300 wives with about £20 actually being used to help the poor and that I was being a
              FTFY....
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                They can do that stuff, in fact they've been doing it for a lot longer than Europeans. Problem is that the water in the wells is often infected or polluted with nastiness or that they don't have any rights to the land where they want to build houses. Your money is probably better spent on water purification and land rights lawyers.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  Yeah, I see the point; they could just give the money or better still turn up at the food bank and offer to help, but perhaps the 3P gives them a feeling of having taken on a challenge together and actually done something difficult in order to give to charity; that benefits both the donators and the charity receiving the funds, and that's perhaps a good thing all round; giving doesn't just need to be about helping the people who need it, but helping oneself by doing something decent for others and with others.
                  Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  You are missing the point.

Some people like doing challenges like that anyway. Collecting money for a charity is just a perk of doing the challenge.

In addition the threat that some of their donors won't pay up if they don't finish helps them to finish.
                  OK so why should I pay for a bunch of white middle class people to feel like they've achieved something with their lives? I'm not interested in rewarding them for beating a challenge, surely their real challenge is getting the will-power to do these things without needing someone pushing them!
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

are you thick or just trolling?

Just asking like.

Comment

Working...
                    X