• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My umberlla hasn't paid me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My umberlla hasn't paid me

My umbrella owes me 2 weeks pay £900 and my contract with the agency above them has expired. The agency hasn't paid the umbrella hence I haven't been paid. The agency lie and say the 2 invoices will be paid next week but that never happens despite being chased. The debt is outstanding for a couple of months. Who do I take to a small claims court? Would it me buried in the umbrella T&C they don't pay if they haven't been paid? This must happen often where the umbrella doesn't get paid buy a dishonest agency, what legal recourse is there please?

Originally posted by nel View Post
    Who do I take to a small claims court?
    Your employer

Would it me buried in the umbrella T&C they don't pay if they haven't been paid?
    Possibly, but no-one here will be able to tell you without seeing the contract.

This must happen often where the umbrella doesn't get paid buy a dishonest agency, what legal recourse is there please?
    Talk to your employer? Employment tribunal? Small claims court?
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Speak to your Umbrella, they are your employer. I would have thought it was in their interest to get this sorted as well, and indeed the agent as everyone is losing a cut. That is, unless the agent is lying and has it in their pocket, which I find hard to believe.

Try and get it in writing that the agent will be passing the money on. That way they can't turn around later and say they haven't been paid or anything.
      Speak to your umbrella and see what their take on it is.

Read your contract word by word to see what it says about non payment and should you not understand ask the brolly. They are your employer so they should be sorting this out.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Was there an opt-out in the contract that the umbrella company signed with the recruitment agency?

You should find that the umbrella company will have their own debt collection procedures in place - do you know what they have done so far to try and recover the debt?
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
        X