• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What about the referendum?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about the referendum?

What happens if the UK decide to leave the EU? Will it still:

strike a deal which Downing Street claims could be worth up to £10billion to the UK alone.
    Every family in Britain could be £380 better off from a landmark trade deal between the United States and Europe.
    Britain could get £10billion boost from stronger ties between US and Europe (promised by leaders wearing no ties at all) | Mail Online

Europe and US launch plans for ambitious transatlantic trade deal | Business | guardian.co.uk

Awaiting UKIP response eagerly
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

I love the states: can't get your way through diplomacy, use money, which you can print until you don't want to print anymore.

Comment

More to the point does this mean stuff will get cheaper? And can I take a contract in the US of A without needing a visa? Will more shops start taking American express?
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post

Awaiting UKIP response eagerly
        Well I am a UKIP member , so I'll answer the question:

It says "a deal that could add as much as £100 billion to the EU economy". While that is true, it means that people will have changed their spending patterns to buy more American goods, which means they are spending less on buying British goods. Which will offset a major part of this £100 billion.

The trade deal as discussed could be a good thing IF it reduces tarrifs, taxes, and red tape, but the benefits are much more subtle than the £100 billion headline figure. Much lower than that in monetary terms.

As for the argument that the UK would lose out if it left the EU, yes there would be a small loss due to restriction of trade. But that small loss is massively overwhelmed by the huge costs and inefficiencies in the EU as it stands, meaning it is still very much in the interests of the country to be out of it.

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Will more shops start taking American express?
        God that's a very good point.
        Actually forget what I said above - I think this trade agreement is a very bad idea, and should be abandoned immediately!

Comment

Don't worry about it Darmstadt; those of us who've lived outside Britain in another EU country for more than 10 (or 15) years aren't going to be allowed to vote anyway. We might give the wrong answer. Time to get another passport.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
          X