• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wow - Mr Reid is all powerful...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow - Mr Reid is all powerful...

U.K. moves to ban hackers from internet
    René Millman 20 Jul 2006 10:07

The U.K.'s Home Office is planning broad powers to ban hackers from using the internet.

With such new clout, law enforcement agencies and the courts could hand out Serious Crime Prevention Orders to spammers and hackers when police lack enough evidence of wrongdoing.

The idea is part of the Home Office's green paper, "New Powers Against Organised and Financial Crime." It is hoped that these orders will be given in civil, rather than criminal, courts, where the standard of proof is far lower.

Suspected hackers given the special order could find themselves giving police employment details, having their credit cards stopped or being prevented from sending out spam.

So what are they going to do - post a copper outside every internet cafe? What about mobile phones with browsers?

Totally unworkable from New Liebore - as usual...

Last edited by ratewhore; 20 July 2006, 21:42. Reason: So people don't post about my miniscule typo
    Older and ...well, just older!!

The U.K.'s Home Office is planning broad powers to ban hackers from using the internet.

They really are fecking idiots, aren't they! They cannot think anything through, like most of their headline-grabbing initiatives.

It won't get past first base.

Comment

It will go through a period of 'consultation', and be quietly dropped next time someone famous dies / gets married.

Do you really think this sudden publicity assualt re: the Home Office is going to actually lead to improvements?

The central idea so far seems to be "blimey, it's completely fecked... let's cut it adrift and call an 'agency'".
      Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Seems a straightforward plan to me. By Reidy boy saying "it's all fecked" he hopes to render himself and his department immune to criticism for a few years. Whenever any scandal/disaster comes to light he can just say, "well I've already told you the department is a clusterfcuk and I and my dedicated team of civil servants are working night and day on putting it right".

Comment

Stubborn Scotsman

Reid's 'bull in a chinashop' approach is well-known from his previous jobs. Don't forget that he was the main architect of all the IT cock-ups in the NHS when he was Health Secretary at the time the contracts were handed and signed. The man refuses to listen and just follows whatever he thinks is right. Maybe his gung-ho approach is popular with the public and the press but judged on results, he's not all he appears to be.

Comment

Just vote Labour and enjoy infinite house prices.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
              Just vote Labour and enjoy infinite house prices.

HTH
              Does bank software handle infinite balances?

Comment

With such new clout, law enforcement agencies and the courts could hand out Serious Crime Prevention Orders to spammers and hackers when police lack enough evidence of wrongdoing.

I've been trying to think of a comment regarding this.

Its wrong on so many levels from the basics of our legal system (innocent till proven guilty *ahem*) to policing this.

Madness.

Don't get me wrong. Spammers are the lowest of the low with regard to IT and should be dealt with. Same with hackers. But to punish someone because you 'suspect' they have committed a crime??

But then we do have precedent with regard to crazy legislation - ASBO's.

Sadly I cannot help but think that the Tories would have gone down this same route.

The Lib Dems? Well they have as much chance of gaining power as Bush and Chirac becoming best of friends, so I would discount them.

The country is going to hell in a handbasket.
                http://nickmueller.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                  Does bank software handle infinite balances?
                  Only on overdrafts.
                  Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Working...
                  X