• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Knew I liked him

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knew I liked him

'Thieves, murderers, oppressors and infidels!' Extraordinary letter in which Admiral Lord Nelson rants at his French arch enemy sells for £9,000 | Mail Online

He states: 'I hate rebels, I hate traitors, I hate tyranny come from where it will.

'I have seen much of the world, and I have learnt from experience to hate and detest republics.

'There is nothing but tyranny & oppression, I have never known a good act done by a Republican, it is contrary to his character under the mask of Liberty.

'He is a tyrant, a many headed monster that devours your happiness and property.

'Nothing is free from this monster's grasp. A republic has no affection for its subjects.

'A King may be ill advised and act wrong, a Republic never acts right, for a knot of villains support each other, and together they do what no single person dare attempt.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

I thought we had broken your Daily Mail dependency?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      I thought we had broken your Daily Mail dependency?
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

only paper I saw it in, I actually thought it was quite interesting and it doesn't mention how much his house is worth so I didn't think it counted.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          only paper I saw it in, I actually thought it was quite interesting and it doesn't mention how much his house is worth so I didn't think it counted.
          From Merton (parish) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Admiral Horatio Nelson, purchased Merton Place from the widow of Charles Greaves with its large estate, for £9,000. Nelson expanded the estate with the purchase of additional land south of his house until his Merton property covered most of the area west of the Wandle and north of Morden Hall Park and also included the whole of the area between Merton Road, South Park Road and Haydons Road. Between trips to sea, Nelson lived at Merton Place with his mistress Emma Hamilton and her husband Sir William Hamilton, although Sir William died at his London house in 1803.

Unfortunately, Nelson had only a short time to enjoy his new home before his death at the Battle of Trafalgar in October 1805. In recognition of Nelson's success and sacrifice at Trafalgar his older brother was made Earl Nelson and Viscount Merton in November 1805.

Following Nelson's death, Emma Hamilton got into debt and despite help from friends was unable to maintain Merton Place. The house was demolished in 1821[4] and the estate lands were sold off in parcels over the following years.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

thank you so much feel much better!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              So current value is essentially, roughly speaking, nil.
              But on the plus side, there are now plenty of thieves, murderers, oppressors, and infidels living there. So the circle is complete!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                ...a knot of villains support each other, and together they do what no single person dare attempt.
                Sounds like the management (*cough*) team at my last gig.

nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                X