• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Train+taxi or drive to client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Train+taxi or drive to client

Advantages of train:-
    1. You can have a kip.

Disadvantages:-
    1. You've got to get to train station.
    2. You've got to get to client.
    3. Unreliable (but then so is traffic if you drive).

Got a contract on the go which is looking good. 75-90 mins drive away or 60 mins by train (then 2 miles by taxi?).
    Considering the train/taxi option?

Anyone else do this? i.e. catch a taxi every day from train station.
    I'm hoping I could get a regular taxi that'd be willing to pick me up at train station/drop me back on a regular basis (thus getting a good deal and having someone reliable).

To be honest, parking at train station is £5, train is £18 plus whatever taxi costs (£10?) as opposed to 60 miles each way (plus £6 bridge toll coming home).
    (fortunately, day rate is about £90 more than current contract so its a good deal).
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

I would drive it. I can't be arsed with all the hassle. Jump in the car, get some music on and off you pop. Haven't had a gig / permie job under an hour drive for as long as I can remember so am used to it though.

Glad to see you are getting a grip of your life and making those important decisions for yourself more though.. oh hang on...
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

3 hours in the car every day? No thanks.

Bike, train , bike...

edit: You just had a new kid - you want to give up the opportunity for TWO HOURS of extra sleep every day?
      Last edited by Moscow Mule; 18 June 2013, 12:50.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I would drive......

How about a folding bike or similar from the train station? Or is there a bus?

I would drive!
        latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          edit: You just had a new kid - why not stay away Monday to Friday?
          FTFY
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

2 miles? Walk? (could maybe get a taxi back to catch a specific train)
            If at first you don't succeed... skydiving is not for you!

Comment

Was is a similar situation last year. Was working in Bedminster, and Bristol Temple Meads was a fair distance away. Ended up driving from Swindon for the most part of the year, with occasional train travel. Another option to consider might be car share, but I think it's too restrictive. If you consider buying a season ticket (monthly) for the train journey, how much money can you save? Does it offset atleast half of the cab fare?
              I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                3 hours in the car every day? No thanks.

Bike, train , bike...

edit: You just had a new kid - you want to give up the opportunity for TWO HOURS of extra sleep every day?
                WHS

If you just had a kid you will:
                1. Be tired so will be dangerous on the road
                2. Need some quiet time to your self so you can sleep, read or watch a movie
                3. Need some exercise for all the benefits it will give you
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Car: Goes when you want, where you want.
                  Train: Goes when it wants, where it wants.

I had a gig 90 odd miles away, which I'd mostly drive. I took the train a few times, which meant walking to the station at this end, then getting a taxi at the other. On the way back I'd get the bus to the station.

The biggest problem was the way the train times worked out I'd leave at 06:30 in the morning and get back by 20:00 in the evening. But by car I'd leave home at 7:00 and (on a good day anyway) could be home by 19:00. That extra hour and a half out of the house each day makes a big difference.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Depends what the drive is like - if it's going to be a nightmare, then I'd go by train. If it's going to be something pretty (I did a gig where the morning commute was a drive across the moors), then I'd drive it.

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Got a contract on the go which is looking good.
                    Who are you and what have you done with PC??
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X