• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mainframe on my Mac - Geek Alert!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mainframe on my Mac - Geek Alert!!

z/OS on OSX. Amazeballs as my missus said in a patronising tone when I showed her..

40000/10, game upped....

No wonder that Windows got so successful...

Comment

People have been doing this on Proper Computers for years.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        No wonder that Windows got so successful...
        Any soviet OS's you know of Lyoshenka?

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          People have been doing this on Proper Computers for years.
          When I get home at weekend I'm trying it on a pSeries, that'll learn yer..

Comment

I've been running that software for years (even contributed at one point), even seen it on a Pi. Used to do emulation for a living, UMX, FLEX-ES and zPDT. Why have you got 5 spool disks?

You wanna see the new flash cards on the zEC12 I use along with the zBX...make other computers look like kids toys
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              I've been running that software for years (even contributed at one point), even seen it on a Pi. Used to do emulation for a living, UMX, FLEX-ES and zPDT. Why have you got 5 spool disks?

You wanna see the new flash cards on the zEC12 I use along with the zBX...make other computers look like kids toys
              I just like spool disks....

Can i do sysplex on Hercules - sure I can't cos I need the actual hardware, just asking like....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                I just like spool disks....

Can i do sysplex on Hercules - sure I can't cos I need the actual hardware, just asking like....
                No. The developers did get it up and working but received a cease and desist from IBM. They basically did what z/VM does and emulated the hardware under software (I've done that for IBM on the real hardware.) What you can do is run more than one instance and share some resources but you can't do any PLEX style stuff. Get your self a partnerworld license and get a zPDT then you can emulate sysplex although that is very difficult (even I can't and I wrote the redbooks!)
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  No. The developers did get it up and working but received a cease and desist from IBM. They basically did what z/VM does and emulated the hardware under software (I've done that for IBM on the real hardware.) What you can do is run more than one instance and share some resources but you can't do any PLEX style stuff. Get your self a partnerworld license and get a zPDT then you can emulate sysplex although that is very difficult (even I can't and I wrote the redbooks!)
                  I love this stuff! It's like pSeries but better!

Now, I've had a few in new bar near work but - isn't z/OS itself a proper type 1 hardware hypervisor, and z/VM more like a type 2, like ESX maybe or Solaris zones or even AIX WPARs?

I really did think Mainframe's were boring. Now I am sure they are actually interesting!

Now, I need Connectirect for z/OS to aid me with and issue at the Bank.....

Comment

Working...
                  X