• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Acid or Alkaline?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acid or Alkaline?

I'm an idiot.

I stopped on my cycle home from work to pick up a geocache. It was called 'trick or treat'. Took me a bit of searching about to find the box, then, when I opened it, there were about 20 diddy containers inside, all with a rolled up bit of paper. Tweezers were provided. I extracted about three (all of which said 'trick') before I realised I was being eaten alive by mozzies. Persevered, and extracted all 20 before giving up in disgust. Had a 'duh' moment on the way home when I realised where the likely hiding place for the log book was - not in any of the diddy containers of course.

Anyway - I have counted 17 mozzie bites on arms and legs. Going insane with itching. Googled 'cures' which range from baking soda and ammonia (alkali) to vinegar (acid).

So which is it? How can I stop these bloody things from itching? (I'm two beers into the alcohol remedy, but, apart from brief relief when holding the icy bottle against the bites, it's not really working).
    Last edited by mudskipper; 18 June 2013, 19:35.

piriton.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      piriton.
      Will see what's in the cupboard. None of us suffer from hayfever, but think there might be some out of date stuff somewhere. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        piriton.
        I was just going to say go to the pharmacist and state you want the generic version of it. It should be cheaper.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          Will see what's in the cupboard. None of us suffer from hayfever, but think there might be some out of date stuff somewhere. Cheers.
          If you have random allergies including suffering from swollen insect bites you tend have anti-histamines. I dump mine before they go out of date on the members of my family and friends with hayfever.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            I'm an idiot.

I stopped on my cycle home from work to pick up a geocache. It was called 'trick or treat'. Took me a bit of searching about to find the box, then, when I opened it, there were about 20 diddy containers inside, all with a rolled up bit of paper. Tweezers were provided. I extracted about three (all of which said 'trick') before I realised I was being eaten alive by mozzies. Persevered, and extracted all 20 before giving up in disgust. Had a 'duh' moment on the way home when I realised where the likely hiding place for the log book was - not in any of the diddy containers of course.

Anyway - I have counted 17 mozzie bites on arms and legs. Going insane with itching. Googled 'cures' which range from baking soda and ammonia (alkali) to vinegar (acid).

So which is it? How can I stop these bloody things from itching? (I'm two beers into the alcohol remedy, but, apart from brief relief when holding the icy bottle against the bites, it's not really working).
            Geocache?
            Mozzies?

Can you back up a couple of sentences and explain to this thickie what the frak you're doing opening boxes of Mozzies please?
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              Geocache?
              Mozzies?

Can you back up a couple of sentences and explain to this thickie what the frak you're doing opening boxes of Mozzies please?
              Do you know what google is?

Idiot.

Dumbf***

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                If you have random allergies including suffering from swollen insect bites you tend have anti-histamines. I dump mine before they go out of date on the members of my family and friends with hayfever.
                Found some - use by date unintelligible, so assume they're fine. Must admit - never realised they were helpful for bites.

Comment

As soon as you noticed you've been bitten, wash the bite area with soap and warm water. I've not conducted a double blind clinical trial, nor had the Cochrane foundation do a meta-analysis... but it seems to reduce the itching later. Gets a lot of the nasty gunk off your skin.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Do you know what google is?

Idiot.

Dumbf***
                    Big help. Only lacking context now. Good work
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X