• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC question and medical history

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC question and medical history

Hiya folks, I've read the FAQ already but i wanted to ask a question about the SC process, as I've seen a role i want to apply for that requires it.

I've had a couple of times in my life where i've suffered from depression - not overly serious and was treated with medication from the GP. If it's relevant once was as a student and the other time was after being made redundant a few years ago.

On top of that I've smoked cannabis from time to time in the past, but haven't touched the stuff for about three years and have no further intention of being involved with it in the future, although I've always been open with my GP about this so it will be in my medical records (I know, I know!).

I know that it's always the best plan to be honest and open on the forms and I intend to do so, but am I totally shafted before I start or will I likely be ok?

Answer the questions they give you fully and to the best of your knowledge.

BTW I found out later when I was SC cleared someone I had worked with had a serious mental illness. Though in his case it was very well controlled until management decided they wanted to get rid of him....
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

If you read the sticky you will know the answer..... What they are looking for and what is potentially going to fail your application are well detailed in it.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        If you read the sticky you will know the answer..... What they are looking for and what is potentially going to fail your application are well detailed in it.
        As honesty goes, in the bit where it asks, "Have you ever been to court as a defendant before?" (or words to that effect) I actually owned up to a court appearance I DIDN'T make, ie I claimed I'd gone to court for a traffic issue when in fact, as I remembered only after I'd sent the form, it had been dealt with roadside (though I paid the fine by post afterwards).

So where I should have mentioned 2 court appearances during the 90's, I claimed a third, non-existant one. And still got my SC clearance.

Seems they may give points for over-honesty !

Comment

Originally posted by Gym beast View Post
          As honesty goes, in the bit where it asks, "Have you ever been to court as a defendant before?" (or words to that effect) I actually owned up to a court appearance I DIDN'T make, ie I claimed I'd gone to court for a traffic issue when in fact, as I remembered only after I'd sent the form, it had been dealt with roadside (though I paid the fine by post afterwards).

So where I should have mentioned 2 court appearances during the 90's, I claimed a third, non-existant one. And still got my SC clearance.

Seems they may give points for over-honesty
          !
          I think that's kind of factored in i.e. if you are honest about going to court it may very well work in your favour, whereas if you fail to disclose something and are found out you've no chance (appreciate your scenario is different but I think the point is the same).

Moreso with banks who will probably run a mile from anyone with the brass neck to lie on an official document such as those I imagine are used in the SC/DV processes.
          Permietractor (probably)

Comment

Originally posted by Mephisto View Post
            I think that's kind of factored in i.e. if you are honest about going to court it may very well work in your favour, whereas if you fail to disclose something and are found out you've no chance (appreciate your scenario is different but I think the point is the same).

Moreso with banks who will probably run a mile from anyone with the brass neck to lie on an official document such as those I imagine are used in the SC/DV processes.
            To be honest I don't think it will. It is only over honesty in your eyes. It is incorrect information in theirs and the will want to know why. You think your insurance will pay out if you disclose something incorrectly and try and argue over honesty? I don't think so.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gym beast View Post
              Do they interview or ask follow up questions for SC or do they only go interview for DV?

Comment

Well, I appreciate that the point of the checking is to ensure that you aren't hiding anything that will lead you be open to pressure from blackmail or bribery at a later date, with the thinking being that so long as you are open and frank with them then there is nothing that anyone can use against you.

Obviously if it came to light that you lied about something then that itself is grounds to demonstrate your dishonesty and lack of integrity.

I understand that and I know nobody is whiter than white, but I am probably most concerned about my past cannabis usage and how recent something would have to be for it to be grounds for refusing a clearance, be it 6 months, 2 years, 10 years or whatever.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Comment

To be honest I don't think it will. It is only over honesty in your eyes. It is incorrect information in theirs and the will want to know why. You think your insurance will pay out if you disclose something incorrectly and try and argue over honesty? I don't think so.
                  Cheers and good to know - I've never been through either process so all guess work on my behalf.
                  Permietractor (probably)

Comment

Originally posted by JVen View Post
                    Do they interview or ask follow up questions for SC or do they only go interview for DV?
                    Interview only @DV. I ensured I was ruthlessly honest on my forms so as to not jeopardise getting it. TBH I think they realise that people start getting gung ho with the honesty and volunteer more info than needed, or in my case, accurate.

Think of a guy being interrogated by mi5. They know how to recognise the point where they've broken him, and he starts spewing the truth. Even then, there are likely a detail or two that he will get wrong NOT because he's being deceptive, just because in his rush to volunteer info he fudges one detail in his account describing for example whether the Ambassador's limo was sea-blue or sea-green, he wants to prove he is co-operating fully. Mi5 would recognise that, and so do the people who give out SC.

Comment

Working...
                    X