• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses deductions on my payslip and bottom line?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses deductions on my payslip and bottom line?

Hi all,

First time contractor, and first time post. I'm hoping you might be able to help me with something.

The umbrella company I'm going through are helping me be as 'tax efficient as possible'. What I'm really struggling to understand is one of the deductions they're making, and which they have explained they will make every month.

On the payslip there is a £2000 item in the 'deductions' column marked 'Expenses'. This was also reflected in what was paid into my account for the month. On top of that I have £655 for PAYE and £343 for NI. So total deductions from my gross is £2997 for the first month! Keep in mind that I have not yet made an expenses claim.

Now the kicker is that I've actually incurred over £2000 in expenses as I'm working abroad (hotels, travel, etc...).

Do you know why this is the case? Because I'm really struggling to understand why it's both tax efficient or to my advantage for me to receive 47% of my gross pay…

I genuinely hope that this is a case of lack of education on my part and poor explanation on theirs, rather than some horrible error.

===
    On a side note I've been calling and writing the company regularly to understand just this point and as a result have only received obfuscated answers to my very clearly set out questions.

welcome

If the umbrella company is 'assuming' expenses I would suggest you look for another one. As you receive tax relief on expenses your take home pay increases as your expenses increase (which may be what your umbrella company meant when they said you would be 'tax efficient'), the only problem is that you can only claim for costs that you have incurred wholly and exclusively because of the contract - if your umbrella company is just making up amounts this is tax avoidance pure and simple.

If you want me to check the payslip for you in case there is a simple explanation (I doubt it but you never know) email to [email protected]
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Hi Lisa,

Fantastic. I can see how 'assuming' expenses is certainly one way around this, however probably not advisable as you explain.

Let me do some photoshop magic on the payslip, and I'll send it over to you.

Your help is hugely appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMightyLlama View Post
        Hi Lisa,

Fantastic. I can see how 'assuming' expenses is certainly one way around this, however probably not advisable as you explain.

Let me do some photoshop magic on the payslip, and I'll send it over to you.

Your help is hugely appreciated.
        No problem at all I have emailed you directly.
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
        X