• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2013, the year I learnt to Ski.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2013, the year I learnt to Ski.

Only 9:30 and already it 24 degrees. I thought remember last month? Yes, lovely and cool. Don't know if any of you ski, but highly recommend it. Took me a number of weekends to get the confidence. Think it's safe to say I've got the skiing bug now.

Here I've got a selection of photos taken on black, red, and blue slopes. Awesome scenery.

I took those photos last month, at hintertuxer gletscher, about 90 minutes from Munich. Got back in the afternoon to enjoy an evening in the beer garden afters! Madness.

If you go here you here you might still see people skiing this morning on the webcam.

Coming down a black slope

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Break a leg!
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Funny, 2012 was the year that I finally decided that skiing wasn't for me (it's only taken 17 seasons to reach that conclusion.)

So now I just have to persuade Mr C that I still love the mountains, I just want to experience them from a snow-shoe hiking perspective.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Funny, 2012 was the year that I finally decided that skiing wasn't for me (it's only taken 17 seasons to reach that conclusion.)

So now I just have to persuade Mr C that I still love the mountains, I just want to experience them from a snow-shoe hiking perspective.
        I have always loved skiing, just never been that good at at, and in '92 had an accident, of a large enough scale, to persuade me, that after 10 years trying, I should give up on it.

However, then I met a younger lady, who turned out to become my wife who, this year, wants to learn to ski. I am slightly scared at this prospect.

Comment

I'm still one of those characters that does not use a helmet. Whilst I agree I'm more at risk on a busy piste (children scare me), I understand the helmet will do well to protect from maybe on the lift and a snowboard falls from above. But it'll do me no good whatsoever slamming into a tree, for that the helmet would need to be 6" thick. I've also heard folks using helmet take more risks, don't know about that. But of those in my fraternity who have picked up injuries this season all were wearing helmets.

I've taken a number of tumbles myself this season, but just bounced and got back and on with it. My thumb was the only thing I came close to breaking when I fell and could not let go of my ski pole as it was strapped to my wrist. Don't do it!

I'm all about cruising on the slopes, never exceeding 50 kmph or until the wind in my hair is positively being pinned back. Got this app called 'Ski Tracks', very cool, records you speed and distance through out the day and altitude.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Ah, you’ve never lived if you’ve not put the skis together, bent your knees and leant back slightly down a steep and long run.

But then again, you’ve also probably never done a treble toe loop salka with experimental 720 degree knee rotation at the bottom of said run either

Comment

Having had a couple of accidents and my daughter having had one accident, where the helmet prevented more serious injury, I wouldn't not wear one. A good one is comfortable, well ventilated, and keeps your ears warm when it is cold. For people who wear glasses, there are visor helmets which don't fog. There's no particular reason not to wear one; it's an additional piece of safety equipment that isn't inconvenient. Obviously it only protects against particular kinds of injuries in certain scenarios. I can't say I've ever skied into a tree, but I've had a few knocks on the noggin. The piste can be quite solid at speed.

I started skiing about ten years ago in my early 30s, and love it. I can get down most slopes, but can't really be bothered with off-piste. 80 kph down a fairly empty black slope - the most fun you can have with all your clothes on. (Any faster than that, and my skis start to "chatter").
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I leant to ski in 1972 while working for a tour company is Austria. The skis were very different then.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

It's all downhill from here....
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Coming down a black slope

Looks like you're going down it backwards. Impressive

Comment

Working...
                    X