• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inspired by Brillo, my fitness training ....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inspired by Brillo, my fitness training ....

... well the high ideals went out the window (being teetotal, cutting down on red meat etc, doing the London marathon).
    So all things in moderation, a bit of what you fancy does you good etc.
    But I've kept up the exercise regime and feel fitter than I've ever been in my adult life.
    didn't need to lose a lot of weight but cut half a stone off.
    Can run 5km in 30 mins (that's mainly uphill on my standard route) which is Ok. coupled with squash and a bit of gym that's ample.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      ... well the high ideals went out the window (being teetotal, cutting down on red meat etc, doing the London marathon).
      But I've kept up the exercise regime and feel fitter than I've ever been in my adult life.
      Can run 5km in 30 mins (that's mainly uphill on my standard route) which is Ok. coupled with squash and a bit of gym that's ample.
      Start with your head. That should knock a couple of pounds off. Maybe 3 if you've read the beano that particular day.

Comment

If you manage 10kmh for an hour then you'll be a lot fitter than the average bod. Not top level sports material, but if that's not what you need then it's fine. Perhaps do a few short sprints of 40 to 50 metres with 40 to 50 metre walk recovery or leg speed exercises during your run now that you're reasonably fit; interval training is pretty good for burning calories, and the modern thinking is that maintaining leg speed and looking after the fast twitch muscle fibres will help in keeping your muscles strong as you get older; introducing a bit of power in the whole thing seems to help keep your bones strong too.

You might even consider buying a bike and taking a look at this; Routes - EuroVelo - the European cycle route network but perhaps that's for the real fitness loons. I don't know when I'll be benched, but hopefully this project will last long enough to let me take a couple of months off and perhaps do the route from the North Cape to Sicily.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          If you manage 10kmh for an hour then you'll be a lot fitter than the average bod. Not top level sports material, but if that's not what you need then it's fine. Perhaps do a few short sprints of 40 to 50 metres with 40 to 50 metre walk recovery or leg speed exercises during your run now that you're reasonably fit; interval training is pretty good for burning calories, and the modern thinking is that maintaining leg speed and looking after the fast twitch muscle fibres will help in keeping your muscles strong as you get older; introducing a bit of power in the whole thing seems to help keep your bones strong too.

You might even consider buying a bike and taking a look at this; Routes - EuroVelo - the European cycle route network but perhaps that's for the real fitness loons. I don't know when I'll be benched, but hopefully this project will last long enough to let me take a couple of months off and perhaps do the route from the North Cape to Sicily.
          Cycling, varying the cadence works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

Just wanted to improve my basic fitness. Have joined a gym with a swimming pool - that should be the icing on the cake.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
              Cycling, varying the cadence works for me.
              Road or mountain?

I am looking at buying a bike but can't decide which way to go.

Comment

Just wanted to improve my basic fitness. Have joined a gym with a swimming pool - that should be the icing on the cake.
                I'm amazed you fit it all in. Gym, swimming, two clients paying £900/day, reading endless math books, doing an Msc, driving your Toyota sports car, going on holiday, staying in your villa in Portugal, spending time with your sprog.....all combined with 10 hours straight shift of telling us all about it on CUK......

Comment

A lot of people think that but they do not realise that you also have to go to the gym and exercise.
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
                    Road or mountain?

I am looking at buying a bike but can't decide which way to go.
                    Road bike. The rolling resistance of a mountain bike makes longer distances almost impossible; it's altogether larger, heavier, and just not built for speed.

Depends what you want to do. If you want to get fit, quickly, I'd say road bike; start witha few weeks of 15 milers, then pop in 2*40 milers a week. Will kill you to start, but within 2-3 weeks, you'll be pissing them. Then start adding bigger hills in the rides. If you did 2*40 miles a week, you'd be fit, quickly, and could live normally, as such.

Tat's my take. But I have an MTB as well, and hooning down trails is a lot of fun, if slightly dangerous, from the not taking time off work injured front.

Comment

Working...
                    X