• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear: UK jobless level at six-year high

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear: UK jobless level at six-year high

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/5171932.stm

'UK unemployment has hit its highest level for six years, figures from the Office for National Statistics show. ',

Milan.

Old news. Todays news is Britain is booming!

Comment

NOTHING to do with immigration of course. Although it's funny, in all the supermarkets, restaurants, bars etc. that now have Poles and so on working there, I do not actually recall noticing staff shortages before.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Why bother working in a low paid job when there are benefits to be had watching TV all day?

What liebour will have you believe is that all the waiters/dish washer/shelf stackers have moved on to higher graded jobs taking advantage of our great education system, thus leaving the lower grade jobs for much needed immigrants to fill.

Load of old bollocks though...
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

How they give on the dole anyway? I hear you get Free SKY Digital, beer and donuts to sit on the couch all day long watching educational TV.

Comment

There's a job center thing I walked past the other day.

It says "Start your own business and we'll continue to pay all your benefits until you are up and running."

Sound like a good deal for us IT contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
              How they give on the dole anyway? I hear you get Free SKY Digital, beer and donuts to sit on the couch all day long watching educational TV.
              Quite often get a beemer thrown in too.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
                NOTHING to do with immigration of course. Although it's funny, in all the supermarkets, restaurants, bars etc. that now have Poles and so on working there, I do not actually recall noticing staff shortages before.
                Nice (uncritical) article from todays Guardian about the 500,000 Poles that have come to UK in the past year and half. No wonder house prices in UK have kept going up!!

Why would you leave a place like Wroclaw?

The moment Poland joined the EU, its citizens rushed for the exits. Five thousand doctors alone have left since 2004. But what's so bad about the old country, or so great about destinations like Britain? Helen Pidd and Luke Harding report from beautiful, cultured - but unloved - Wroclaw

Friday July 21, 2006
                The Guardian

At bay number four in Wroclaw's bus station, a group of young Poles are standing around in the afternoon sunshine. Among them is Michal Wardas, a 24-year-old university student. He is off to spend the next two months working as a waiter on the Isle of Wight. "I like Britain. The people are friendly. I've been four times in the past two years," Wardas says, dumping his rucksack on the 51-seater Globus coach, and climbing on board for the 20-hour journey to London.

Wardas is part of the biggest wave of emigration into Britain for three centuries. Official statistics suggest that 228,000 Poles have registered to live and work in Britain since Poland joined the EU in May 2004. Other estimates suggest the real figure is between 350,000 and 500,000, while last week the respected Polish news magazine Polityka estimated that one million Poles have moved to the UK. Some 83% of them are under 34. This benign invasion of eager and biddable young Poles has, it is generally agreed, been marvellous for the British economy and anyone who had previously struggled to find a cheap plumber.

Comment

I don't have a problem with young hard working people coming to Britain. It's the fecking "asylum seeker" types. No education, no skills, straight into their funny little communities, straight onto benefits, straight into free housing, straight to the front of the NHS queues.

Comment

[QUOTE=zeitghost]Hear, Hear, DP...
                    QUOTE]

I second that. This Polish immigration is great. The country needs immigration (we dont have enough babies). The Poles coming over are hard working, english speaking, young, and importantly with a very similar culture and appearance, therefore intergration is a sinch.

I think we really stole a march on the rest of Europe when we let them work here as soon as the country joined the EU. A good decision from Blair et al. Shocking I know.

Comment

Working...
                    X