• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£140 day rate.....what is the equivalent salary PAYE figure?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£140 day rate.....what is the equivalent salary PAYE figure?

hello,

this is my first time ever contracting. iv'e decided to set up my own company (i'm an accountant, part qualified at the moment but good experience).
    ive got my first contract through an agency initially for 6 months. All ive been told is that its a day rate of £140.

i have not signed anything yet, and haven't seen the contract yet. I'm trying to determine what it is worth (both inside and outside IR35) if it was represented as an annual gross salary figure...
    what is £140 equivalent to?

if i do this calculation: £140 x 5 days x 45 weeks = £31,500
    and put that figure into here The Salary Calculator - Take-Home tax calculator i get a net monthly income of £1,752.87 (5% personal pension contribution, student loan repayment 1)

when i put that same £140 daily rate into here: IR35 Calculator - How much does IR35 Cost you?

i get a net monthly income of £1,599

i dont understand. why is it so much lower?

Originally posted by mosaslop View Post
    hello,

this is my first time ever contracting. iv'e decided to set up my own company (i'm an accountant, part qualified at the moment but good experience).
    ive got my first contract through an agency initially for 6 months. All ive been told is that its a day rate of £140.

i have not signed anything yet, and haven't seen the contract yet. I'm trying to determine what it is worth (both inside and outside IR35) if it was represented as an annual gross salary figure...
    what is £140 equivalent to?

if i do this calculation: £140 x 5 days x 45 weeks = £31,500
    and put that figure into here The Salary Calculator - Take-Home tax calculator i get a net monthly income of £1,752.87 (5% personal pension contribution, student loan repayment 1)

when i put that same £140 daily rate into here: IR35 Calculator - How much does IR35 Cost you?

i get a net monthly income of £1,599

i dont understand. why is it so much lower?
    Welcome!

On the right you'll find CUK Navigation. >>>>>>>>>

Look down and you'll come to the First Timers section. Have a read through there.

Then pay particular attention to IR35.

If you go into the Accounting/Legal forum you'll discover the thread Basic advice when running your own contractor business.

Guide to Contracts also has some good articles.

Happy reading!

PS. Since you are an accountant I'm taking the unusual step of locking this thread. I'm sure that you'll appreciate this as a learning situation for you. We expect accountants to already know about this kind of stuff.

Feel free to come back once you have found out and understood why it's lower.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
    X