• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FIA Tribunal hearing in Paris

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FIA Tribunal hearing in Paris

Any motor racing fans in here?

Seems like some interesting facts are coming out ahead of the tribunal i.e. The FIA offered to cut a deal with Mercedes to limit the punishment to a few points if they pleaded guilty of the charge.

Anyone else think this looks like the FIA trying to get out of the court case, for fear of coming out with egg on their faces. More pertinent, is that Mercedes turned it down, saying they’d prefer to chance the court. There’s a lot of history here too, with Ecclestone and Brawn really not being on talking terms since the Brawn GP days, and the intimation that Todt and Brawn fell out at Ferrari too.

Horner has rocked up too, no doubt to stir the pot a little.

It’s going to be a very interesting day me thinks.

There was this rumour that Mercedes had an email from Charlie Whiting saying it was okay. So if that turns out to be true, then Whiting would probably end up being for the chop as he didn't follow the correct procedure.

I can't believe Mercedes would have done this without having a good reason to think it was legal. I'm not saying they're above cheating, but rather they would have tried harder to keep it a secret if they were knowingly breaking the rules. I suspect it all comes down to having two rules, or contract terms that contradict each other and the lawyers will have to fight out which is more important.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      There was this rumour that Mercedes had an email from Charlie Whiting saying it was okay. So if that turns out to be true, then Whiting would probably end up being for the chop as he didn't follow the correct procedure.

I can't believe Mercedes would have done this without having a good reason to think it was legal. I'm not saying they're above cheating, but rather they would have tried harder to keep it a secret if they were knowingly breaking the rules. I suspect it all comes down to having two rules, or contract terms that contradict each other and the lawyers will have to fight out which is more important.
      Couple of things for me:

Pirelli are in the Dock, but shouldn’t be, for they are a supplier, not a team. This confuses me.

The pre trial offer to settle out of court could mean they didn’t want Merc/Pirelli to come out of this badly, as they’re both needed in the sport. Or. They really have messed up, and will come out of this with a bloody nose.

Rumours persist that Lauda wanted to settle out of court, but Wolff and Brawn persuaded him to go to court. For me, linking the two, it must have been a fairly trivial settlement the FIA offered, which would appear to me, that they, the FIA, didn’t want this in court. That Brawn and Wolff and Brawn have both persuaded the DB board to go to court, makes me think there’s going to be a night of long knives at the FIA.

I know Whiting was Mosleys right hand man (as well as Ecclestone’s), so this could be Todt lining up a replacement...

Interesting day ahead.

Comment

Mercedes are arguing that they didn't undertake the test, Pirelli did, and they were just acting as a sub-contractor. The rules only disallow teams from undertaking tests.

Hmmm.

Pirelli haven't signed up for next year yet, so the sport can't really afford to piss them off too much.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Mercedes are arguing that they didn't undertake the test, Pirelli did, and they were just acting as a sub-contractor. The rules only disallow teams from undertaking tests.

Hmmm.

Pirelli haven't signed up for next year yet, so the sport can't really afford to piss them off too much.
          I love F1, all the teams are trying to throw each other under a bus, but RB seems to have come up trumps again.

He’s got an email stating if the test is run by Pirelli, not Mercedes, then it’s ok, buy an FIA lawyer. All Pirelli have to do is come to the stand and say, yes, we paid Mercedes, we undertook the test.

I knew Brawn would have something under his sleeve!

However, Pirelli could come to the stand and throw Mercedes under a bus, but that would be commercial suicide I think!

Comment

Is this all to do with someone using the wrong car to test some tyres? Or is it the wrong tyres under the right car?
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Is this all to do with someone using the wrong car to test some tyres? Or is it the wrong tyres under the right car?
              Wrong car, testing the wrong tyres.

Or right car, testing the wrong tyres.

Or right car, testing the right tyres.

Or wrong car testing the right tyres.

Depending who's seat you're sat in

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                Wrong car, testing the wrong tyres.

Or right car, testing the wrong tyres.

Or right car, testing the right tyres.

Or wrong car testing the right tyres.

Depending who's seat you're sat in

It all seems a bit abstract to the casual observer.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                  I love F1, all the teams are trying to throw each other under a bus, but RB seems to have come up trumps again.

He’s got an email stating if the test is run by Pirelli, not Mercedes, then it’s ok, buy an FIA lawyer. All Pirelli have to do is come to the stand and say, yes, we paid Mercedes, we undertook the test.

I knew Brawn would have something under his sleeve!

However, Pirelli could come to the stand and throw Mercedes under a bus, but that would be commercial suicide I think!
                  Mercedes fit a lot of Pirelli tyres as OEM equipment, so it would hurt them more than it hurt Mercedes.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    Mercedes fit a lot of Pirelli tyres as OEM equipment, so it would hurt them more than it hurt Mercedes.
                    Precisely, which is why I said it would be commercial suicide for Pirelli.

Pirelli have just stated they will only take 30 minutes to present their case. So, to me, it looks like they will say, this was a pirelli test.

Comment

Working...
                    X