• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Worthwhile Causes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worthwhile Causes

Help for Heroes

You could do a lot worse.............just had a bit of a spend-up there myself which included a new "Help For Heroes" Flag to adorn the flagpole in my back garden.
    Go on...............you know you want to.

And it just might get you decapitated!!
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Help for Heroes

You could do a lot worse.............just had a bit of a spend-up there myself which included a new "Help For Heroes" Flag to adorn the flagpole in my back garden.
    Go on...............you know you want to.

And it just might get you decapitated!!
    I've bought the camo shirt, although unlikely to get decapitated in Wedmore (cause they can't see me).

Comment

The Poppy appeal is the only charity I ever donate to - how is the HfH charity different?
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
        The Poppy appeal is the only charity I ever donate to - how is the HfH charity different?
        It's a way to show open support for our troops that suffer injuries on the battle front. The Poppy Appeal only collects once a year while the HfH is all year round.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
          It's a way to show open support for our troops that suffer injuries on the battle front. The Poppy Appeal only collects once a year while the HfH is all year round.
          Poppy Appeal is the main annual fundraising campaign for the Royal British Legion. They still collect all year round, though.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Can't anyone join the RBL, you don't have to be an ex-serviceman?

AFAIK, the HfH charity works in different ways than the RBL, the RBL being for ex-servicemen, whilst HfH helps current servicemen. That's broadly separating them by the way, but that's what I understand the difference as.

Comment

If you are daft enough to join the armed forces, you're signing up to get your limbs blown off, it's a risk of the job the same way those working on oil rigs are more at risk than tax clerks.

The part I don't like is that their employer (the government) isn't already giving them all that they could require in terms of treatment and finances, that a charity is needed to fix it. That seems outrageous to me. In nearly any other job which includes risk, the employer pays out big time in the event of injuries.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                Can't anyone join the RBL, you don't have to be an ex-serviceman?
                I think that is right.
                When I was based in the Shetland Islands as a serving soldier, the RBL in Lerwick was the place to be for all the action.
                The subsidised price of the alcohol was the main driver.
                What was really nice though was that the doormen (yes, they needed them there!) used to proactively move you to the front of the queue if you could produce a Forces ID card.
                Twas nice to feel appreciated when in so many places Service personnel were actively shunned at times.

Getting back to H4H, I believe they focus mainly on serving, or ex-serving personnel, that have had their lives radically altered due to injuries sustained whilst serving.
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Do they only cover armed forces, or groups like police officers etc?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                  X