• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie morons

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permie morons

Database permie1: jmo21 can you come here and have a look at this

jmo21: sure

DBP1: this website can get it's data fine, it uses a sql account in it's connection string, but when we login to SQL Server using that account, the login fails

jmo21: that's weird. Are you sure you are trying the correct server, and have you confirmed the sql username and password are correct.

DBP1, DatabasePermie2, SharepointPermie : YES!

jmo21: are you sure this is the correct web.config file for the website?

SPP: yes.

jmo21: change something in it to see if it fails.

SPP: {changes the username in the config, website duly throws an error}

jmo21: so the username and password is fine, are you SURE you are typing the correct username and password into the correct SQL Server login screen?

DBP1 : YES!

DBP2: hey wait it works for me

DBP1: oh, I've spelt the username wrong.

jmo21: *sigh*

That sounds like pretty normal stuff to me.

Perfect billing hour that is. No real work to do, just hand holding morons.

Comment

You just billed them for that !

A while back I charged a client a whole weeks wages because a bob from Crap Gemini didn't know why we have connection pools in web logic and instead had crafted his own DB connection into the middle of his java code. I changed the passwords on the Woblylogic consoles and boom it all stopped working... Followed by 5 days of recriminations about how I must of borked the configs. After they had well and truly got into their snide-stride (standard cap g practice of running round all our managers briefing against the hardware team) I took a TCP dump of the sessions in to a meeting and showed the little twunts their old password in plain texts splattered all over the pcap files. I did this infront of the CTO who by now was baying for blood.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Originally posted by bobspud View Post
        +1

You should always use the Socratic method when teaching permies something. It takes up more time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socratic_method
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post

A while back I charged a client a whole weeks wages because a bob from Crap Gemini didn't know why we have connection pools in web logic and instead had crafted his own DB connection into the middle of his java code. I changed the passwords on the Woblylogic consoles and boom it all stopped working... Followed by 5 days of recriminations about how I must of borked the configs. After they had well and truly got into their snide-stride (standard cap g practice of running round all our managers briefing against the hardware team) I took a TCP dump of the sessions in to a meeting and showed the little twunts their old password in plain texts splattered all over the pcap files. I did this infront of the CTO who by now was baying for blood.
          I would have added 10% to my invoice for incorrect use of the apostrophe when they mean 'its'.

Well done anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            That sounds like pretty normal stuff to me.

How naive - test it yourself, find that it's a typo.

Then pretend to pull the code apart for a day while posting on here. Then reveal that you've fixed the issue and make sure they type it correctly.

An hour is amateur time.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
              Database permie1: jmo21 can you come here and have a look at this

jmo21: sure

DBP1: this website can get it's data fine, it uses a sql account in it's connection string, but when we login to SQL Server using that account, the login fails

jmo21: that's weird. Are you sure you are trying the correct server, and have you confirmed the sql username and password are correct.

DBP1, DatabasePermie2, SharepointPermie : YES!

jmo21: are you sure this is the correct web.config file for the website?

SPP: yes.

jmo21: change something in it to see if it fails.

SPP: {changes the username in the config, website duly throws an error}

jmo21: so the username and password is fine, are you SURE you are typing the correct username and password into the correct SQL Server login screen?

DBP1 : YES!

DBP2: hey wait it works for me

DBP1: oh, I've spelt the username wrong.

jmo21: *sigh*
              Pretty unfair, it was just a typo. We all do that from time to time contractor or permie. It's human nature.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                How naive - test it yourself, find that it's a typo.

Then pretend to pull the code apart for a day while posting on here. Then reveal that you've fixed the issue and make sure they type it correctly.

An hour is amateur time.
                Setup a new project team. Forensic autopsy of whole project. Fly round the world pulling the greatest minds on the planet onto the team. Obtain £50bn funding. Spend next 15 years billing at £10K a day to solve this issue.

Write up Phd style thesis on solution. Executive summary: was a typo

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  +1

You should always use the Socratic method when teaching permies something. It takes up more time. Socratic method - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                  Could take quite a long time with Bobs, when you consider they never answer a question with a straight answer

Comment

Originally posted by cherhill View Post
                    Pretty unfair, it was just a typo. We all do that from time to time contractor or permie. It's human nature.
                    the only people who don't make mistakes are the ones who don't do any work

Comment

Working...
                    X