PDA

View Full Version : Un-Boomed

psychocandy
20th June 2013, 12:19
Been on the cards for a while. NLUK will be happy at least.

Not the best client but it was close to home and its been over 2 years so can't complain. It is still a little annoying when you know that there is still lots to do but the client can't see past saving money and getting the bobs in and you know its all going to end badly. But it happens to everyone I guess.

Still a bit weird to get an email from client saying sorry we don't need you anymore, thanks for all your work over the last two years, and, by the way, congrats on the birth of your child.

Hey ho. Maybe some time off for now and see what happens. Warchest pretty decent and I've got a bit of sideline contract on the go too so enough to last for around 18 months.

Mich the Tester
20th June 2013, 12:21

Not the best client but it was close to home and its been over 2 years so can't complain. It is still a little annoying when you know that there is still lots to do but the client can't see past saving money and getting the bobs in and you know its all going to end badly. But it happens to everyone I guess.

Still a bit weird to get an email from client saying sorry we don't need you anymore, thanks for all your work over the last two years, and, by the way, congrats on the birth of your child.

Hey ho. Maybe some time off for now and see what happens. Warchest pretty decent and I've got a bit of sideline contract on the go too so enough to last for around 18 months.

What's your field of work?

bobspud
20th June 2013, 12:29
Best time for this to happen. Market seems buoyant in infrastructure and you have a new baby to spend time with if you wish. Well done for surviving a truly awful twunt of a client. :yay:

northernladuk
20th June 2013, 12:41

Not the best client

You don't say...

but it was close to home and its been over 2 years so can't complain.

Yes you can, and did very regularly and ad infinitum..

It is still a little annoying

Complain when you are in the gig, complain when the renew and still at it when they bin you. Poor buggers can't win.

Enjoy your time at home, get a great gig with nothing to complain about and you will wonder why on earth you stuck it through for so long. Looking forward to the boomed thread soon.

suityou01
20th June 2013, 12:43

He's a fluffer on the set of Free Willy 2, the KY Years. :rolleyes:

MarillionFan
20th June 2013, 12:45

Potatoes?

suityou01
20th June 2013, 12:45
You don't say...

Complain when you are in the gig, complain when the renew and still at it when they bin you. Poor buggers can't win.

Enjoy your time at home, get a great gig with nothing to complain about and you will wonder why on earth you stuck it through for so long. Looking forward to the boomed thread soon.

He's the new Suity :yay:

SimonMac
20th June 2013, 12:57
Best time for this to happen...you have a new baby to spend time with

FTFY

SimonMac
20th June 2013, 12:58
He's the new Suity :yay:

He's still at least 9 kids behind you mate, or sorry, 9 kids behind your missus

suityou01
20th June 2013, 13:03
He's still at least 9 kids behind you mate, or sorry, 9 kids behind your missus

:laugh

I do take some beating :D

MarillionFan
20th June 2013, 13:06
He's still at least 9 kids behind you mate

and 120lbs.

psychocandy
20th June 2013, 13:56
Best time for this to happen. Market seems buoyant in infrastructure and you have a new baby to spend time with if you wish. Well done for surviving a truly awful twunt of a client. :yay:

Hmmm. Dunno about being buoyant.
Yeh. Warchest is there and I'm surprisingly OK about it. We'll see how it goes....

After the sleepless nights, is working away a few nights that bad? ;-)

psychocandy
20th June 2013, 13:57
You don't say...

Careful now NLUK. First few sentences were normal you but that last part you almost came over a nice guy LOL :-)

psychocandy
20th June 2013, 13:58

Unix support/admin, network management mainly.

bobspud
20th June 2013, 14:10
Hmmm. Dunno about being buoyant.
Yeh. Warchest is there and I'm surprisingly OK about it. We'll see how it goes....

After the sleepless nights, is working away a few nights that bad? ;-)

When we had ours the midwife told me to move into the spare room so that I would get a nice nights sleep :rollin: Wife was about to protest about it when the midwife turned on her and said you can sleep when the baby does he needs to go to work :emb I didn't have the guts to move into the spare room so I got a job in Holland instead!

psychocandy
20th June 2013, 15:36
When we had ours the midwife told me to move into the spare room so that I would get a nice nights sleep :rollin: Wife was about to protest about it when the midwife turned on her and said you can sleep when the baby does he needs to go to work :emb I didn't have the guts to move into the spare room so I got a job in Holland instead!

LOL. Nice one midwife....

I been in the spare room but getting up to do the bottles etc. Easy peasy. Get up sort the bottle, give to wife, back to bed. 5 mins tops. Wife then feeds/does nappy.

She seems happy with this but I feel a bit guilty. First day back WFH today.

Wanderer
20th June 2013, 21:42
I been in the spare room but getting up to do the bottles etc. Easy peasy. Get up sort the bottle, give to wife, back to bed. 5 mins tops.

Breast feeding is best.

Man wakes up. Checks. Nope, he doesn't have tits. Goes back to sleep. Sorted.

psychocandy
21st June 2013, 07:14
Breast feeding is best.

Man wakes up. Checks. Nope, he doesn't have tits. Goes back to sleep. Sorted.

Yep. And of course its free.

Never knew though - babies dont sleep as long when you give them breast milk. The manufactured stuff apparently has more in it so they sleep longer.

Currently lucky if shes going 2 hours. Tell me this is going to change soon! (Other son is almost 10 so I cant remember!)

bobspud
21st June 2013, 08:03

Never knew though - babies dont sleep as long when you give them breast milk. The manufactured stuff apparently has more in it so they sleep longer.

Currently lucky if shes going 2 hours. Tell me this is going to change soon! (Other son is almost 10 so I cant remember!)

Depends on how huch they are getting out of the nork... :laugh

TheFaQQer
21st June 2013, 09:40

My elder daughter never slept for more than 20 minutes until she was 13 months old. She would sleep in the car if you drove, but woke up as soon as you stopped to try and grab some sleep yourself.

She just screamed the whole time. And I mean SCREAMED!!!

mudskipper
21st June 2013, 09:53

Breast milk is much more easily digestible, so doesn't keep them full for as long.

Something that sometimes helps is to feed from one side, alternating for the next feed. The first deluge of milk is watery, then the thicker stuff comes through. Many women who switch sides after, say, 10 minutes, change just as the good stuff is coming in, so baby just gets watery stuff and is hungry quicker. Does make you a bit lopsided for a bit, but your body soon adapts.

psychocandy
27th June 2013, 09:48
Last day at client and I can't be arsed. Off tomorrow - Glastonbury.

Strangely, still not bothered, they certainly caused me a lot of grief. Be nice to have a little time off.

Strange thing is I haven't gone yet and they're already beginning to realise that letting me go might cause them problems. They did want me to hand over to one of the permies, but hes in another office and can't come this week, and, of course, they left it to the last minute to decide this. Unlucky then!

They're already hinting that maybe they might ask me back or ask me to come in for a few days to help out. Think they were a bit put out when I said, I'd consider coming back for 3 month contract if I wasn't doing anything else, but if it was for odd days then a consultancy rate would apply and not just the standard day rate.

I'm sure they think I'm going to be sitting waiting for them to throw me crumbs off their table.....:wave:

Platypus
27th June 2013, 09:53
but if it was for odd days then a consultancy rate would apply and not just the standard day rate

Ha ha excellent! ***** 'em up the arse bad!

Sorry. I mean, charge a rate commensurate with comparable professions (e.g. accountant, dentist)