• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Developing in x86/x64 environments

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Developing in x86/x64 environments

Up until my current client, I had mostly worked on XP & win 2k03. Now I'm working on x64 platforms and (being very simplistic here) I'm finding that I get involved in a mish mash of x86 and x64 stuff. Which is a complete pain i the arse to be honest. Yes, I wish a line was drawn in the sand and everything was x64 but dealing with with 3rd party dependencies etc that I have no control over I find that a whole new layer of bollocks has been introduced that I have to contend with when I'm dealing with deployments etc.

As if we don't have enough to do. Just my thoughts....

Originally posted by zoco View Post
    Up until my current client, I had mostly worked on XP & win 2k03. Now I'm working on x64 platforms and (being very simplistic here) I'm finding that I get involved in a mish mash of x86 and x64 stuff. Which is a complete pain i the arse to be honest. Yes, I wish a line was drawn in the sand and everything was x64 but dealing with with 3rd party dependencies etc that I have no control over I find that a whole new layer of bollocks has been introduced that I have to contend with when I'm dealing with deployments etc.

Yes, well your right about deployments. Installers are not agnostic about these things. I'm guessing that at some point everyone will be 64 bit but when I look at the number of organisations out there still using IE6 I'm guessing this is quite a few years down the line.

Comment

Originally posted by zoco View Post
      Two thoughts:

1) you should be grateful you did not get canned because you lack x64 experience

2) you should be grateful that migration complexity will help you keep your job/contract because it would be harder to outsource

So, this pain is your gain.

Comment

WATWS

The more complexity and pain, the greater the barrier to entry. If it were all drag n drop, the Bobs would be all over it like a rash.

Comment

Working...
        X